Action camera outside the vehicle

The place to discuss everything else..
jet

Post by jet »

Hello,

Does anybody know if it is street legal to drive with camera mounted on the roof, bonnet or side panel in Germany and Austria? Should I expect any law-related implications?

I mean something like that:

Cheers,
Jet
1.5 dCi MT Premium

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi Jet, you may well be on a touchy subject here in Germany. You see on TV & Automagizines Road Tests with external cameras attached to cars or " Google" camera cars but quaranteed with special permission (sondergenehmigung it is called). Here Dash Cams can be used (you do not see many and we do not have one) but are frowned upon due to the violation of privacy and using them in Court or by the Police often is not allowed. This Law is still being discussed in the German Parliament.
There are very strict regulations here with regard to what is added to cars and normally you need what is called a TÜV Certicate which is basically for the Part Safety and Construction. For example stuff that comes from the US / PRC do not have this and normally should not be installed in or on your vehicle here, our Dealer has asked me about stuff we have installed, as at the Inspection TÜV (MOT) it could be a problem. :oops:
So as Dash Cams are frowned upon I would be pretty sure External Cameras would be a No No, take a look at the attachment. I would dig in a bit deeper as it could cost you in the end, our neighbour is a "Polizist" if I see him I will ask him if he knows - I hope this is of some help ! Dave ;)

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
jet

Post by jet »

Thanks a lot, Dave! Any information would be much appreciated.
I am equally concerned about the TUV/Saftety and the legal/Privacy Law aspects.

I have been reading a lot on the topic today and it seems that German law is not so restrictive - some sources claim that a privately recorded video of a scenic road trip should be okay as long as you do not share it.

According to most sources though, using survaillance/dashcams in Austria is strictly prohibited and the fines are... huge.
For me personally, it remains unclear whether the law (and policemen) make difference between an action/GoPro/ camera and a survaillance dash camera that is constantly recording.
1.5 dCi MT Premium