Jack recommendations

The place to discuss everything else..
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

As the topic states, without spending stupid money and considering the QQ doesn't actually come with anything useful in the way of tools.

Any recommendations on a decent jack for simple stuff? Like lifting it up a bit to get off the lower engine cover

Thanks
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I haven't tried yet but I'm assuming my ancient £20 or so Halfords Trolley Jack will be fine. Must look at swapping the wheels round (yes, I've got axle stands not having a spare wheel to use).
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Yes, Halfords, Clarke, Draper and Screwfix sell very good small trolley jacks for little money. I have a Screwfix one in a plastic case, which might well fit under the rear floor of the Qashqai with a bit of thought, although I have not tried. At the price, a pair of trolley jacks to swap wheels around isn't out of the question.

My screw fix came with a pair of collapsible axle stands in the case.
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

I was looking at a set with a pair of Axel stands, but they only seem to go up to around 35cm unless you go for the dedicated SUV type with raises much higher. Im really looking for it just to get underneath and change the damn fog light bulbs :) but is it high enough?

Does anyone know the average price for a garage to swap wheels around ?
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Went for this option,
Not exactly lightweight, more for home maintenance.
2.25 tonne trolleyjack, high lift.
3 tonne ratchet lift/release axle stands.
Not used for jobbing yet, but tried them out and they seem as good as the ones ive used in a previous life as a caravan fitter.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-1025HL- ... B005TFSI5K
Last edited by gvmdaddy on Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

From what I understand, sealed are a good brand, you won't have any trouble there. I ended up with a Halfords 2 tonne piece of plastic, I literally lifted one corner and I thought it was going to break, its a real POS. The being said, I bought it to change the fog light bulbs lol so its purpose has been filled.