Dashcam recommendations

The place to discuss everything else..
ImoT

Post by ImoT »

So I get my new Qashqai on Saturday and I would like to get a dashcam for it. Prices seem to range from £8-£200 plus and I really can't decide which one to go for or how much to spend! Has anyone got any recommendations?

Danny

Post by Danny »

It depends on your budget and what you want from the camera. If you're at the higher end of spectrum, you often get a bit more kit and quality for your money. that said at the lower end of the spectrum (around £70) you can get some really decent cameras, that record in full HD and have Ok night vision.

You can also get dual cameras, that record both a front and rear view. Annoyingly (in my view) a lot of modern dash cams come with a built in screen, which serves little purpose than to justify an increased price tag.

Don't be afraid to buy from a foreign brand. A lot of the Asian based manufacturers are actually extremely good. I've had my FineVu Cr500 now for 3 years and it's been faultless. Was £289, but records in full 1080p, Night vision is exceptional and I really can't fault it. Unfortunately the model is no longer and eBay is the only place you can get them now, but at the reduced price of £150-£180.

I have recently been looking into the Koonlung Ks1 as it features two tiny cameras and a separate DVR unit that can be hidden in the glove box. This is potentially the setup i'll be getting for my Qashqai, as whilst faultless the Cr500 is not discreet.
2016 - 1.2 Xtronic - N-tec + - Blade Silver
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I can recommend this one (and its seller):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310830749213

Beware other sellers' versions as they may not use the Novatek 96650 chipset.

Also good is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311413455434

Uses the same chipset as the G1WH but is a little more discreet, though the buttons are fiddly. Still, once set up you rarely need to touch anything.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
ImoT

Post by ImoT »

Thank you both for your recommendations. These might be stupid questions, so I apologise if so, but do the dashcams sit on the dashboard or do they need to be attached to the windscreen? Obviously I assume rear ones are attached to the rear windscreen! Also do they have to be plugged in to the cigarette lighter?
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

The ones I suggested fit on the windscreen on the passenger's side behind the rear view mirror, out of sight of the driver. You can run them from the 12v socket or wire them into the fusebox behind the glovebox so that they switch on when the ignition is turned on. It's easier than it sounds.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
ImoT

Post by ImoT »

The only issue with fitting them behind the rear view mirror is that's camera for traffic sign recognition etc is? Is it possible to get battery operated ones (so I don't have to deal with wires trailing everywhere) that sit on the dashboard?
Danny

Post by Danny »

ImoT wrote:The only issue with fitting them behind the rear view mirror is that's camera for traffic sign recognition etc is? Is it possible to get battery operated ones (so I don't have to deal with wires trailing everywhere) that sit on the dashboard?
Most have a field of view of at least 140 - 180 degrees so you can place it in the corner or where ever you like really, as most can be angled. You can also buy power packs and wiring kits for most cameras, these are almost always 'extra' sometimes called battery packs, but essentially they either piggy back of your lighter plug cabling or straight off fuse box.

Check out Amazon for reviews.
2016 - 1.2 Xtronic - N-tec + - Blade Silver
john breeds

Post by john breeds »

Can some kindly soul advise me where to stick the dashcam. Before you say 'behind the mirror' my qq has a black screen-like mebrane fused into the windscreen just behind the mirror area.
This screen membrane prevents airtight adhesion for the suction cap. The result is my dashcam regularly falls off (and setting off alarm if ignition off).
Is there a work-around - perhaps a bracket to clip onto rear of mirror?
So far I've tried super-glue, spit and double sided foam tape on the sucker. Help! :?
Coupe racing

Post by Coupe racing »

Then move it off the black spotted area onto clear glass :D
Oct 2016 - Qashqai 1.5DCi N - Connecta - Pearl Black Metallic
Aug 2016 - Qashqai 1.2 DID-T Acenta with Premium Pack - Gun Metallic Grey
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

What we need is someone with some tech knowledge/skills who can work out how to record the output the forward camera for auto wipers, lane departure etc. Thats if the quality is good enough.