Nissan Sunderland

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

In a couple of weeks we will be in the UK to visit the "Mini" Factory in Oxford, organised by brother. So naturally there has been some bantering on his new "British" (BMW-German) built Mini Clubman vs our "British" (Japanese) built Nissan QQ. I took a look on the web and found the Facts which I read again today in the "Daily Mail". You might well have already seen this living in the UK - Dave ;)

The car giant that conquered Britain: How Nissan combined Eastern efficiency with western workmanship. One born every minute: Nissan's Sunderland plant makes 60 cars an hour. Qashqai, Juke, Leaf electric car and Infiniti Q30 all built at the UK factory

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/market ... nship.html

P1070140 - Kopie (2).JPG

Mini.jpg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

iceman GR

Post by iceman GR »

With a car every 60 seconds it makes absolutely sense for the QQ to suffer from all these issues.
What kind of quality control can be done in 1 minute?
Qashqai 1,5, Acenta Premium, Black, Chrome Premium Pack, Side Chrome, Roof Rails (11/2014) SOLD 1/2017
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

iceman GR, you are absolutely correct with your comment of I Minute as a production rate, but that has nothing to do with the Quality Inspection, - they are NOT inspected in 1 Minute :lol:

Quality is an ongoing process during manufacture and you just cannot expect to carry out an Inspection in 1 Minute after a QQ has been manufactured from "Steel IN" to "QQ OUT" that is just not on. Also do not forget that production these days is mostly done by Robots including Inspection. I do understand that Quality Problems do arise but that is the same throughout industry and not only related to Nissan.

If you have time please take a look at the attached Nissan Quality Comments and a Video of how a Nissan is manufactured in Japan for your interest, you will see how complex these operations are - Dave ;)

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/QUALITY/PRODUCTS/

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/QUALITY ... RODUCTION/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El5vpA8wdAs
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

I have just come across this article on "How the Sunderland Plant Transformed the North East" and let's hope it just continues that way for Nissan and it's Workers. I found this an interesting piece of History I hope you do also - Dave :)

The video actually shows the Infiniti Q30. Milestones for the QQ J11 was Launch 2014 / 500,000 produced in 2015 / New Investment of £22 Mio in 2016 for additional QQ Capacity in 2017. ;)

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/business ... d-11854830
TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

I am from Durham in the north east and indeed, Nissan has been very important for the local economy. My father works there, directly they employ 7,000 people, indirectly, about 20,000. It's just a pity that most of the north east decided to vote to leave the EU, as when we do, Nissan may leave the UK, if it makes financial sense for them to do so!

Regarding quality control, oviously it can't be done in 1 minute, no car can be, but like any production line, they have timescales. I must admit, I get fed up of the complaining about Nissan Cars, I personally have never had a problem and I've had a few QQ, but obviously they do occur, like with any car manufacturer, I had a nightmare with a VW and its engine management, but I would still consider buying a German car again..
iceman GR

Post by iceman GR »

Quality control is not done during the 1 minute of manufacturing, but then again it seems that not all QQs are inspected at all.
Fora all over the world are full of complaints about rattles, noises and other issues that, even though not dangerous, can make your life with a brand new car unpleasant.
Moreover, these issues are still found in cars produced recently and are certainly not teething problems or lemon cars any more!
I do believe that these are things commonly found in other brands too, but having owned several Toyotas all over 20 years, I never had rattles etc from day one!
On the contrary I have never read any complaints about the Pulsar, even though it is mostly the same car as the QQ. The main difference is that the Pulsar is manufactured in Spain.
I think that Nissan people in Sunderland should check again their quality control policies!
Qashqai 1,5, Acenta Premium, Black, Chrome Premium Pack, Side Chrome, Roof Rails (11/2014) SOLD 1/2017
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Lets just hope that this Sunderland Plant does not go down the Pan - Dave ;)

Leave voters in Sunderland – 61% in favour – will have woken up on Friday to the news that Renault Nissan, the largest car plant in Europe and a crucial pillar of the local economy, employing 7,000 people, has deferred all new investment until the details of Brexit are clear. The chief executive, Carlos Ghosn, explained that it was not because the company did not value its Sunderland plant, its most efficient. Rather, as a major exporter to the EU, its profitability depends on the prevailing tariff regime, which promises to change sharply for the worse. “Important investment decisions,” he said, “would not be made in the dark.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rightening
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

It it getting near crunch time for Sunderland, Nissan Boss meets the PM and arrives in a Black QQ - hopefully not Bad news Dave ;)
In case you have not seen this please take a look :

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/business ... m-12025205
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Are Nissan forgetting they were practically given the land to build their Sunderland plant? Now they are demanding possible compensation to offset any future export tarrifs! A bit of give and take is in order.
redqashqai

Post by redqashqai »

gvmdaddy wrote:Are Nissan forgetting they were practically given the land to build their Sunderland plant? Now they are demanding possible compensation to offset any future export tarrifs! A bit of give and take is in order.
Unfortunately business doesn't work like that. The starting point is where we are today. The Washington plant provides a third of UK car production and Nissan quite rightly will employ a high degree of arm twisting to compensate for the effects on their business of the UK leaving the EU.
Current: 2020 1.3 DIG-T QQ NTEC - Manual J11b - Magnetic Red - delivered 10.20.
Previous: 2018 1.2 DIG-T QQ N-Connecta - Manual J11b - Magnetic Red - delivered 09.18.
Previous: 2016 1.2 DIG-T QQ N-Connecta - Manual J11a - Flame Red - delivered 04.16.