DPF Article

The place to discuss everything else..
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Thankfully i already knew this, and have for some time, which is why i bought the petrol model.I dread to know how many people are buying little diesels that do short "supermarket" type journeys and little else that are going to get royally stuffed by this sort of thing.Yay No Road Fund and umpty million mpg until it dies in a horrible mess.There is a certain irony in that the dpf cleans out the particulates but when it goes wrong you end up having to "italian tune up" the car on journeys you never wanted or intended to take.If you get chance try find the article about the mazda "dpf" regeneration solution and how diesel was ending up in the sump which was causing some catastrophic engine failures.Apparently checking the oil level on those cars was to see how high it had gone with the diesel contamination and not how much it had used....
Nissan no more...
vectra19

Post by vectra19 »

Hi , I have at present a KIA CeeD 3 1.6 DCI with DPF and I have had no problems with it,have it on motability it's on 11 plate was due back end of June,but now was extended till 28/12/14 my QQ is due 30/09/14 I've only done over 6500 miles ,kia told me if I had not used the car for 3days or more I was just to let the engine run for 3mins.
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

[quote="vectra19"]
Hi , I have at present a KIA CeeD 3 1.6 DCI with DPF and I have had no problems with it,have it on motability it's on 11 plate was due back end of June,but now was extended till 28/12/14 my QQ is due 30/09/14 I've only done over 6500 miles ,kia told me if I had not used the car for 3days or more I was just to let the engine run for 3mins.[/QUOTE]Seems odd to recommend this.3 minutes isn't going to clear a dpf(?) and probably leaving it like that will harm the battery more than anything else.It requires the exhaust gases to get incredibly hot to burn off the soot as it says in the linked article.Due to diesels warming up so slowly, especially in winter, they never get hot enough on short journeys to clear off the crud so 3 minutes of sitting idling is not going to help at all. Or at least i can't see how it would.Some manufacturers do use alternative means to force clear the dpf, squirting with diesel and igniting it, drawing electrical current to heat it up is another but even those are limited in effectiveness.A lot of it's going to come home to roost on the euro V and euro VI cars that are now getting to be a few years old and certainly the 2009 cars were "experimental" in meeting these requirements.
Nissan no more...
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

When working, two of our fleet cars used by office managers for work and back, less than 7k per year suffered DPF problems. The Golf needed a £1300 repair and the Volvo almost £3000, after this only outside sales staff and engineers covering over 20k miles a year were allowed diesels.I have never thought about a diesel myself, find them noisy, dirty to refuel and smelly. I can see the advantage on owners doing over 25k per year, but small mileages do not justify the original cost, the extra you pay for fuel, possible engine problems etc.Finally any of you potential diesel QQ drivers, try out a petrol you will be amazed at the acceleration and the smoothness of the engine and the sound will be a joy to your ears. I bet the 1.6 when released will be a cracker.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

My key criteria was automatic so it had to be diesel. Fortunately I do 20,000+ on a variety of roads so shouldn't be a problem. And if it was a problem I would have already handed it back to the lease company by then.
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
vectra19

Post by vectra19 »

If there is a problem with the DPF ,when the KIA went in for its yearly service, they never mentioned any problems regarding the engine / DPF. OH well at least I've now learned a Valueable Lesson Here will keep an EYE on it when my QQ arrives ,thanks guys.
korky

Post by korky »

It's always worth reminding ourselves of this especially where some may not clock up the mileage.

We had the DPF warning come in iur Audi - it's first 1k miles were 90% motorway but the following couple of weeks became short local journeys triggering the warning. Quick blast down dual carriageway sorted the issue.

With the QQ not had anything as yet but do expect the warning as the car can go from motorway journeys once a month or so to a couple of weeks local driving. However I'll make sure I get the car off parents for a quick blast should they need me to borrow it ever
FoxyG

Post by FoxyG »

I had a similar experience with the Ford Mondeo 2.2 diesel. Had to give it a 15 mile blast up the motorway every couple of weeks when we had only been using it for short local trips. No mention was made about the dpf problem when we bought the car and somewhat naively I assumed that as a lot of taxis were diesel Mondeos, the car was OK for short local journeys. I soon learned different!We went for a diesel again as we regularly travel to see family in Surrey and Dorset about 7 - 8 times a year and that's when we get the benefit of the diesel mileage. The frustrating thing is that you can almost guarantee that the dpf will decide to recycle the day after we're back home and just 'pottering about' locally We pick up the new QQ in 12 hours and I've got to admit that for the first time in a lot of years I'm really, really looking forward to finally getting my hands on it!! Roll on tomorrow
July 2014 1.5 DCi Tekna, Pearl Black. Chrome pack,bonnet protector and black Alloy Gators.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I think the main thing to take away is if you do a load of short trips, ensure you take it for a good blast every couple of weeks, decent 10-20 min "high speed" runs down a motorway and throw in some good acceleration to red line whilst your at it as well!