Seat - Lumber Support

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

When I first took a look at the QQ it was mentioned it had "Lordosenst£tze" Seats, being a Brit "I said excuse me !" it turned out it meant "Lumber Support". After Test Driving the QQ myself and the Wife found the seats to be far more supportive than what we have in the Juke. I have also read a lot of comments from Forum members all praising the seats so I thought I would try to find some more info' and this is what I found from "Nissan" on this type of seat. Hope it is of interest - Dave

A "fatigue-free" seat for long drives developed in a weightless environmentThis technology alleviates fatigue for drivers and passengers when driving, pursuing the ideal posture to make long drives more pleasant, always maintaining seating comfort.

Technology Functionality :Ergonomic technology was utilized to analyze, measure and verify fatigue reduction and comfort, leading to the NASA-measured "neutral posture." In a weightless scenario human posture is weakened and the burden on the body is at its least, meaning posture does not collapse even over long periods and you are less likely to become tired. By applying this neutral posture to a car seat, it alleviates feelings of fatigue from sitting for long periods of time.
Technology Configuration :
The system replicates the neutral posture through its shape, providing continuous support from the hips to the back. Developed through joint research with Yamazaki Laboratory at Keio University and using a seat simulator and a musculo-skeletal model for seating analysis, Nissan now has the know-how on the bearing capacity for every body part and the seating surface shape that reduces load to the smallest amount on muscular and spinal areas. Based on this, it has achieved optimal support by controlling local deformation characteristics and the seat back in its initial shape. Fundamentally changing the structure of the seat makes for long drives that are comfortable.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

Yes, it all sounds wonderful but the important point is that it works !! These are the best car seats I have ever experience, even though the passenger seat has to do without lumbar support. Although my wife says she is very comfortable and if you are not having to hold a steering wheel and press on pedals the lumbar support is less essential.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Agrea with Bob they workNo idea why they work so well as they nothing to look at but im nearly 18 stone and a back sufferer and these seats are realy not badIve just stepped out of a Jaguar XJ as my personal car and find these seats do not worry me at all, and considering the Jag was 3 times the QQ money when made thats some feat its pulled off
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

F1Bob, thanks for your comment as I was under the impression it was "Seats" but after just checking some English specs it does actually state Drivers Seat Lumber Support as you said - another point cleared up Thanks Dave ?Y‘?
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here are some additional comments from Nissan on their QQ Seats - Dave

All-new seats a€“ using science to minimise fatigue

A great cabin starts with great seats, and Nissan has worked hard to ensure that the second-generation Qashqai is even more comfortable for passengers. During the design stage, engineers used advanced medical scanning techniques and were inspired by NASA to analyse pressure and blood flow in the lower back of seated passengers. By redesigning elements and improving support in key areas, they were able to create a seat that offered even support. The highly advanced new Qashqai seat offers special support thanks to additional bolsters in the pelvis, lumbar and chest areas. The result is a seat that delivers long-distance comfort.
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

Well it may be that I'm 6' 5-1/2" but I find the seats to be very uncomfortable, the "wing" on the right side and the thick stitching/seam constantly dig into me on my hip joint. Even with a Gel cushion it's still not good.
Goodbye Qashqai, Hello Ford Kuga, much quieter ride and a decent sound system :)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

phaedra, do not think I am being rude but I can fully understand that the Seats are a bit uncomfortable when you are so tall and most probably have a body like a Sports Star. Did you actually Test Drive the QQ or was it something that you noticed later, as some of these so called Wings can be uncomfortable ? - Dave

New Seat Frame :
This Frame is one of the Principle elements of the CMF1 component platform defined by Renault and Nissan as part of their cost optimization program. Faurecia's CMF1 seat frame has been designed to be simultaneously global, generic and modular. It can be manufactured anywhere in the world to the same production standard by utilizing the same industrial process. Above all, its modularity enables each automaker to integrate seat functions that have a high perceived value such as a seat cushion adjustment, lumbar supports, electric adjustment mechanisms etc. in specific makes and models without modifying the seat frame.Seat frames are of strategic importance to automakers. They must be durable and strong enough to hold the seat and its safety systems in the event of a collision.Because an automobile seat alone accounts for approximately 6% of the weight of a vehicle, the frame must also be lightweight to help save fuel and thereby reduce emissions.The CMF1 frame has been designed to meet this challenge. It is more than 10% lighter than the previous generation and meets the strictest safety requirements.
Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

A standard seat an only be optimised, at best, to 95% of users (I used to work for a big American office furniture company). At 6'5-1/2" you are always going to have problems with cars, beds, doors. My mate is exactly the same height and his first cars were a Hillman Imp followed by an MG Midget. In later life he found that Aston Martin couldn't fit him into their range.
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

My first car was a mini with bucket seats!.No, I didn't get a test drive (medical problems) but I've had no problems with any of my previous cars seats, Honda CRV, Ford C-Max, Various Citroens and even a Hyundai AtoZ!!. It's the seam where the wing "joins" onto the main seat. edit. Checked tonight and it's not the point where they join, it's the stiching pattern that runs through the middle of the wing itself.I have enough head and leg room, the only other problems I have with the driving position is the centre console hitting against my left leg just below the knee, and the centre storage box is ridiculously high so there's nowhere for your coat to drop down, it just sits on top of the box getting in the way. I had a similar problem with the C-Max hitting my knee but ended up sticking a piece of padding to it to soften the effect, no doubt I'll have to do the same with the QQ.
phaedra2014-07-15 21:34:34
Goodbye Qashqai, Hello Ford Kuga, much quieter ride and a decent sound system :)
conno

Post by conno »

An Hyundai ix30 or a Kia sportage may have been better for you with them having bigger cabins, even just having a sit in the QQ would have shown you that it wasn't for you !