New QQ/Isofix Car Seat/Seatbelt Buckle Issue

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Hi, I am a new owner of a '17 plate QQ and wanted to ask the forum if anyone has had a similar issue to me:

We have a Recaro Isofix child seat that anchors behind the front passenger seat and fits as expected.

The problem we have is trying to attach the vehicle seat belt to the single buckle (hope thats the right term). The buckle seems to be recessed in that the entire buckle unit is not completely visible / accessible making it harder to locate when a child seat is there. The other two buckle units - paired together - are raised and above the main rear passenger seat level making them easy to see and attach to. The attached picture shows what I mean (i hope)

IMG_2617.jpg

When we have our young child in the car seat its almost impossible to find the buckle and attach it. We have had to revert to putting the seatbelt across him then walking around the car and attaching the belt from the other side. Hardly ideal, especially if your child is not in a mood to comply with your request to sit still and wait till mum or dad gets round the car to fix the seatbelt.

I know we could move the child seat across putting him right behind the driver but this isn't ideal for when its just one parent in the car and also avoiding getting kicked in the back by grumpy feet!

Anyone any ideas? The local Nissan dealer say that the QQs in their showroom are this way but I wanted to ask this forum in case there is another explanation or is this just how it is designed?

Thanks

Steve

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Steve, My kids are too big to sit into Isofix Car Seats they are paying my pension money now :lol:
I hope I have understood your question. We have noticed that these Seat Buckles do sit at different heights to each other and the Centre passenger has had problems Buckling up. The Rear RH Buckle sits the highest, then of the two Centre Buckles the LH one sits a little lower and the Centre the lowest. I am not sure if this helps you - Dave :)

IMG_3586.JPG

IMG_3587.JPG

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Thanks Dave. It helps confirm that it's not uncommon for QQs to have these varying height buckles. I had thought there was a simple explanation for the disparity such as a factory shipped state that needed slight user intervention on first use but seems not to be. Odd to say the least but many thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated. Steve.
mrugby

Post by mrugby »

Late 2020 car with the same issue. Put the children's booster seats in the car and then struggled for several minutes to clip in the seatbelts. Absolutely diabolical. This is one of the most popular FAMILY cars and you can't clip in a rear seatbelt without extreme difficulty, due to lack of space and the sunken angle of the belt socket.

I purchased a set of extension Buckles from a well known auction site (just the buckle) only to find the blade size was different, as the qashqai's rear belts are 25mm blades. I then had a change of mind and purchased a pair of webbed 5 inch extension buckles to give more flexibility which have now done the trick. I bought these from a reputable seat belt company based in USA who also had a European depot, so delivery was about a week. These appear to be good quality.

To go back to this 'design flaw', with the imminent launch of the new 2021 models due soon, I hope their designers have given a bit more thought to the seatbelt safety of it's rear child passengers.
I'm still gobsmacked by this and I would encourage any potential future owners with children who need to use child and booster seats, to take them with you and try and fit them with the child sitting on them and trying the seatbelt connection. Especially the rear passenger side belt.
The only reason I can determine for this is the lay flat requirement of the rear seats.
You would expect a model, that has been around as long as the qashqai, to have ironed out all it's flaws by now !!.
mrugby
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Mrugby, have you tried complaining to your Nissan Dealer as perhaps under Guarantee they can do something 😋 as this to me is a Safety Issue for the Kids or even try notifying NCS (Telephoning / email). This appears to be a QQ problem that needs addressing when you have Kids, here is a report from “BabyDrive” AU with Very similiar comments - Dave 🙏

Family car review: 2018 Nissan Qashqai : https://babydrive.com.au/reviews/suvs/2 ... ashqai-st/
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken