Thinking of buying - advice needed

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
Belle

Post by Belle »

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice from other owners. We are thinking of buying a second hand Qashqui April 2016 registration, 7000ish miles, N-connecta 1.5 diesel with comfort pack. It is priced at £16795 from motorpoint and while they tried to up sell it with their warranties and magic paint, we kept them at that price before we go inspect it. Obviously we will first check that it isn't an ex hire car (they were not sure over the phone) and go though the RAC checklist, but any specific advice you can give us on checking or testing when we see it would be gratefully received. We really don't want to end up with a lemon or pay more than we should!

We will be upgrading from our 2009 Citroën C1 which we will keep, but is not so practical anymore with new baby. We are using savings/small personal loan for the car. We do mainly motorway driving with weekly trips from Wales to London and back.

We have test driven the exact model at Nissian before and both loved it so know it is the car we would like. Just a little concerned about reliability and defects as I do more research here and on user review sites. So do help put my mind at ease if you can, or even give us frank warnings before we spend hard earned savings! Don't mind which, as long as it's honest.

Many thanks,

Belle :)

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Belle, firstly welcome to the Forum. You could try scanning through the "Search" Area (Top LH Corner) of the Forum page where some posts related to buying should appear.
We have a 1,2L (Petrol) Tekna QQ Aug 14 and although there has been a few problems these have all been corrected by our Dealer under Guarantee. We are still pleased with our QQ, the seating, accessibility, the Toys all which make driving a pleasure, some members obviously have different stories to tell.

With regard to Tips :
Check Documentation, Servicing Records, Guarantee Recalls & previous owners. Some members have bought Ex-Rentals (they are not all Bad) and they apparently could have Plastic Wheel Rim Protectors on the Alloys.
Check the Alloys for Rim Damage - unsightly and expensive to repair.
Give the Bodywork a good look over especially if the color is Metallic for color variations and any "Over Spray" (Crash Damage).
Normally there is no Emergency Spare Wheel the QQ's are normally delivered with "Gunk" (Aerosol) & a Pump as a get you home Kit.
You could obviously pay out for a Technical Assessment of the QQ from for example the AA / RAC or an Independent Engineer.
Check you still have the Nissan Guarantee + Service Book, here our Guarantee was extended from 3 to 5 years.
Get the Dealer to go over the Operation of the "Toys" as this might save questions later, basically how they work and what they do.
Belle, basically you are buying a "Second Hand" QQ and it is normal that there will be some slight damage, scratches etc but you can play the game with the Dealer and just bounce of him what you want correcting if anything - Asking costs nothing :)
So I hope this helps and I am sure some members can add more hints, but if you buy the QQ enjoy it with the Family - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Jerry1

Post by Jerry1 »

I bought mine from motorpoint - it just under a year old with nearly 7000 miles.
I spent a very long time inspecting it and they were not at all pushy.
My car was registered to Nissan Motor GB prior to me.
I was happy with price and the fact that it still had the remaining Nissan warranty.
They didn't move on price but I negotiated an extra £50 for my part exchange making it a grand total of £650!

As Dave has stated you just need to satisfy yourself that the car is good and does not have any alloy damage or bodywork repairs.

I declined all offers of additional warranties and paint protection - again they weren't pushy.
As it happens once I got home I found that they had already done the paint protection.
2015 Tekna 1.6dCi in Pearl Black (plus Brink/Thule detachable towbar)
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

Give the car a good look over. On a car of this age I would expect the areas to look at would be small stone chips or scratches and Kerbed alloys. Other than that anything major would come under warranty. Also make sure it's got the safety triangle and other kit in the boot ! Good luck
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Mine's an ex rental - but apart from damaged wheels which they swapped for perfect ones, there's very little evidence of it. There was some minor scratching on the inner door sills but I've bought some covers for those.

The safety kit became optional at about March/April 2016 so that might legitimately not be there on the one you're looking at. It was missing on mine but they provided a replacement.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)