Newbie with problems

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
KC15LAY

Post by KC15LAY »

Hi everyone,
I've just joined this forum in the hope that someone may be able to help with the problems that I am having with my Qashqai.

I purchased a brand new 1.6 DiG-T N-Tec+ in October last year. Despite it being a 65 reg, I had a personalised 15 plate registered to it as I live on Islay, an island off the west coast of Scotland and had the ideal reg: KC 15LAY.

The car was great and so much better than my previous 1.6 62 reg QQ. After 6 1/2 months of blissful fault free ownership, things started to go badly wrong. On a short break in late April to Oban, my wife and I decided to go to Ben Nevis. Having a walking disability I stayed in the car while my wife went for a walk. On her return I went to start the car but couldn't do so. A message in the instrument panel read: WARNING KEY SYSTEM FAULT. I tried again and this message then changed to an image of a steering wheel being moved, next to the usual push start button image. This kept happening and I was getting worried that we were going to be stranded miles away from our hotel and home. There was another Qashqai in the car park so we asked the driver if he could help. He said to get out of the car, lock it, wait a few minutes, then unlock it and go through the usual start process. To my amazement it worked. When we arrived back on Islay I rung the dealership in Glasgow and made an appointment to get it looked at. The diagnostic test could not find any fault. This fault appeared again once in June and several times in July. It was the latter date that I was having trouble in getting it started, but could do if I left it for several hours. On 22 July however the car wouldn't start no matter how long I left it. I contacted Nissan Assist and they made arrangements for the car to be taken to the nearest dealership which was in Dumbarton. Unfortunately this recovery coincided with ferry disruptions which meant that the car didn't get to Dumbarton until 10 August. After a week of testing, despite there being no obvious fault, Nissan decided to change the IPDM. The car was sent for cleaning with a view of repatriating the car back to me. The valet driver whilst moving the car then noticed that the exact same fault was being displayed in the instrument panel. The car was returned to the dealership and a full diagnostic test was done. Again it showed no fault. They have agreed that there is obviously an intermittent fault, but cannot find out what it is unless it is actually doing it at the time of testing. I have now been advised that the Technical Dept have been called in to help.

Does anyone know what this fault is or how it can be fixed? The batteries in the key fob are ok, as is the main car battery. Rubbing the key fob over the start button doesn't work either. I have noticed that when unlocking the car by using either the key fob or button on the door that sometimes the rear passenger side lights do not illuminate. This seems to coincide with the car not able to start. If they illuminate the car starts.

I have read that the exact same problems had occurred to another member of this forum Justin_g back in a post of April 27 2015. Does anyone know if he has got this fixed?

Sorry to have made this such a long post, but I wanted everyone to know a little about me and explain what has been happening.

I look forward to your comments.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

It does sound like a battery issue, either ikey or car. Regarding resetting your key, there is a set proceedure tgst is outlined in your owners handbook.
KC15LAY

Post by KC15LAY »

Thanks for the info. I have been told that Nissan have already done this, twice!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Just a thought....how long were you in the vehicle with the key before it refused to start? I wonder if the communication between the ikey and the car breaks down after a short while to preserve the battery life of the ikey? Ill have to try it out sometime.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Do you use the door buttons at all as I do to enter & lock the car?
(One on both front doors, and the round one on the tailgate, not the oblong one) - you may have to change car settings for these buttons to operate; you just leave the key in your pocket/ handbag (!) as normal.

Wonder if that method works, when the I key buttons don't seem to respond.
8-)
Last edited by Gel on Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
rigga

Post by rigga »

Did you try turning the wheel when the warning sign was illuminated, could be just some force on the power steering when the car was shut off my mini does this at times, but the information display tells you what to do, might not be a fault at all and that's why there are no code's.
2016 n connector 1.2 xtronic auto ink blue J11
2019 n connector 1.3 dsg auto metallic red J11
2022 Tekna 1.3 xtronic auto ink blue J12
KC15LAY

Post by KC15LAY »

gvmdaddy wrote:Just a thought....how long were you in the vehicle with the key before it refused to start? I wonder if the communication between the ikey and the car breaks down after a short while to preserve the battery life of the ikey? Ill have to try it out sometime.
Hi, Thanks for your comment.
On the very first occasion I was possibly alone in the car for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Every time after that though I was getting in to start and drive off, so no time at all.
KC15LAY

Post by KC15LAY »

Gel wrote:Do you use the door buttons at all as I do to enter & lock the car?
(One on both front doors, and the round one on the tailgate, not the oblong one) - you may have to change car settings for these buttons to operate; you just leave the key in your pocket/ handbag (!) as normal.

Wonder if that method works, when the I key buttons don't seem to respond.
8-)
Hi, Thanks for your comments.
Most of the time I (or the passenger) would use the door buttons - who ever got to the car first really. I have at times though used the remote to unlock the car, especially at night as the interior lights and running lights come on. Great for when it's dark.
The mechanics at the dealership have tried time after time to get this fault to happen. Sods law though ...... it hasn't. They can start the car each and every time. As they believed that the newly installed IPDM solved the fault, they sent the car to be valeted. It was the driver at the valet station that had the fault happen to him. So my car has gone back to the mechanics at the dealership. The same testing has continued but without the fault occurring again. The Technical Dept are now involved, so I'll wait and see what the outcome is.
KC15LAY

Post by KC15LAY »

rigga wrote:Did you try turning the wheel when the warning sign was illuminated, could be just some force on the power steering when the car was shut off my mini does this at times, but the information display tells you what to do, might not be a fault at all and that's why there are no code's.
Hi, Thanks for your comments. Nissan have tried this (as I have too) but to no avail. I will pass this onto them though about your mini.