New Qashqai (well new to me)...

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
Jerry1

Post by Jerry1 »

Hello Everyone,
Here's my first post.
After months and months of decision making I finally went for a 15 plate Tekna 1.6DCI with 6300 miles to replace my 14 year old VW Passat.
I loved the Passat but family pressure for something newer meant it had to go.

I've had the Qashqai for a couple of months now and it's been ok with no problems to report.
It does the job and it suits our family needs but it's certainly built to a price when compared to the Passat.

Good points -
Relatively cheap to buy and run
Pretty much every gadget is included
Heated windscreen is brilliant

Not so good -
Build and material quality - paint seems very thin
Engine torque is lower than I'm used to
DAB radio variable

Some niggles -
The seat belt is so close to the door pillar that you can't grab it with ease - I've never ever noticed this before on a car!
Most cars seem to have the belt clear of the pillar by an inch or so.

No 12v power outlet in the boot (yes, I knew this before I purchased but it was a compromise I had to make).

No 12v (or USB) power outlet in the rear for charging kids' phones/tablets (everyone knows they must remain at 100% charge - another compromise).

No strap to pull down rear armrest - cost cutting I assume.

and a question -
I have fitted a Brink detachable towbar with genuine Nissan wiring kit.
The rear parking sensors moan about the tow hitch when fitted (understandable I guess) but should they not be disabled when the trailer electrics are plugged in?
If yes, how is this controlled - is it because I'm using an old trailer with a 13pin to 7 pin adapter?

Cheers Jerry.

My Qashqai.JPG

2015 Tekna 1.6dCi in Pearl Black (plus Brink/Thule detachable towbar)

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

When towing, disable parking sensors manually in settings.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Usb charging socket is in the centre consol,with a cutout to enable the lead to go to a rear passenger,
And you're right about the paint it's as thin as anything and will chip just looking at it.
Last edited by AndyM on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 N-Connecta/comfort pack 1.2 Xtronic Chestnut Bronze
Jerry1

Post by Jerry1 »

Sure, but just a bit messy with the cable running out of the front of the centre console and into the rear.
I'd rather just have 2 x USB sockets in the rear of the centre console for rear passengers.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Rear armrest usb would be great, lots of things they could improve on or add,
Craziest thing I miss from our old car is a cool box in the glove compartment,cold water on the go was great.
2017 N-Connecta/comfort pack 1.2 Xtronic Chestnut Bronze
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Jerry1 wrote:Sure, but just a bit messy with the cable running out of the front of the centre console and into the rear.
I'd rather just have 2 x USB sockets in the rear of the centre console for rear passengers.
Not messy at all as the cable cut outs are also on the sides of the center console.
Pjonah

Post by Pjonah »

This post sounds like me!

I too came from a 4 year old Passat Estate 140ps, I too fitted a towbar (Witter) with dedicated electrics. However, the sensors turn off when I attach the caravan.

I agree the build quality is monumentally different to the Passat, the power is also miles apart for me too as my Tekna is only the 1.5. However, the tax benefit of the Qashqai and styling is miles better than the Passat.

The level of equipment in the QQ is better than just about any car in this sector by a country mile. The Passat was pretty austere compared to, well just about anything.

My QQ is not without faults, the parking sensors do a complete fandango in the rain, the stealership say they are aware of the fault but as yet have done nothing to fix it.

That all said, I still like it.
QQ1.5dCi Tekna Thermonuclear Panoramic intercontinental Ballistic Missile Chrome Mirrors
Jerry1

Post by Jerry1 »

Interesting, I assume your caravan has a 13 pin plug?
I'd really like to know if the switching off of the rear sensors is done by a link wire in the plug or some clever sensing circuit (CAN bus sensing?).
Pjonah

Post by Pjonah »

I don't know if I'm honest, but it also tells me if one of the bulbs isn't working on the caravan too, mines a twin plug, not a 13 pin.

I ought to point out that it's only the indicator bulbs that show a fault if a bulb has gone, by not flashing the trailer symbol.

I doubt if it has a lot to do with CanBus if I'm honest.
QQ1.5dCi Tekna Thermonuclear Panoramic intercontinental Ballistic Missile Chrome Mirrors