New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
sisenso

Post by sisenso »

Expecting to collect my new 1.2-litre DIG-T Acenta next week. Really enjoy reading the information on this forum while I wait impatiently for the delivery!

This is first time I'm going to be driving a new car and I'm hearing about this "running in" process where you go gently (i.e. below 3000 rpm) for the first 600 miles or so. Ok, fine, I'm planning a 250 mile round-trip (mostly on the motorway) a week after I collect my car anyway so perfect opportunity!

But I also heard that you should avoid driving at a constant speed for long periods!?! So do I simply vary my speed slightly while on the motorway? Or should I do a few stop-overs along the way to break the trip up? Or postpone such a long trip until I reach 600 miles! That'll take a while in my case as I only do about 3k miles per year.

Is such a "running in" process needed for the QQ? I hear that some cars nowadays are delivered after this "run-in" has already been done.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to learn more from, and hopefully contribute to, this forum.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Im certainly no expert on this, but it is my understanding that it is more important to do this with the diesel variants of the car. Having said that, it still makes sense to go easy on your new car at least for the first tankfull. Dont let the engine labour or over rev......use its rev range evenly. Your planned trip will be no problem, just vary your speed occasionally and dont drive likeca bat out of hell.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Running in.pdf
(24.2 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
See attached, and not many days to wait now :)
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
switchback

Post by switchback »

Although the pdf ^^^^^ says to avoid a constant speed for too long, I would have thought that the engine speed(RPM)would be more relevent than the actual MPH. So you could maintain the same speed but drop it down to 5th every now and again.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.