New member and a rattle fixed!

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
SimonF

Post by SimonF »

Hi

Been lurking for a bit and picked up my new, to me, 1.5 DCI Tekna at the weekend. Its a 65 plate ex Nissan car with 5k on the clock.

Here it is following a quick clean and coating in Purity X spray on sealant - really impressed with this especially the self-cleaning ability demonstrated over the typical Bank Holiday weather! Has a nice gloss to it too considering it was getting late and the light wasn't great. I had hoped to polish it properly and apply some Wolfs nano glaze but the weather had other ideas. That will now be a job for the end of summer when the Purity X has worn off.

QQ1.jpg

And so onto the rattle! Now let me start by saying this was not a rattle like the ones I have read about on here! Much quieter if the videos are anything to go by; but at just the right pitch to really annoy me!! 200 miles over the weekend and I was ready to go back to the dealers - although the wife couldn't hear it and neither could I from the passenger seat.

Eventually traced it last night to the instrument panel. Touching the dials silenced it immediately. Knowing that dealers typically introduce more noise than they cure I thought I would have a go myself! My mate gave me some thin neoprene rubber, a bit like wetsuit material, so I cut a strip of that and carefully , with the aid of a plastic door stop, put it in between the dash top and the instrument cluster. You can really see it in the picture - that's how OEM it looks!!

Dash.jpg

The result? Silence!! The car is now all I hoped it would. Loving all the gadgets and pano roof. Coming from a Dacia Duster I cant believe the difference in feel. Despite have similar engines the QQ just feels so much quicker and planted and now the rattle/vibration has gone so much quieter as well!

A couple of things need looking at. I have the 'crazing' on the roof bars and the drivers door could do with a bit of adjustment but they can wait until the first service.

Cheers

Simon

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Welcome & result:)
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
SimonF

Post by SimonF »

Cheers!

Just noticed in your footer 'scratch and dent' insurance.. didn't even know they did that. Investigating now! Who do use and have you ever had to claim?

Thanks

Simon
SimonF

Post by SimonF »

Well I'm afraid to say that didn't last long :(

Neither me or the wife really gelled with QQ. Struggled with the seating/visibility and this is the only car we've kerbed on a regular basis. I am guessing its the 19's that don't help.

Also disappointed in the general quality. Noisy steering that they claimed to fix with new bushes, but didn't. Doors that shut with a rattle rather than a clunk and noisy suspension over bumps. It was starting to sound like a 10 year old car not a 1 1/2 year old. The stereo was temperamental and so were the parking sensors.

To be fair all pretty minor things that with a bit of perseverance could have been sorted - but the driving position wasn't one of them. We couldn't work out how the car looks so high but the perception is that you sit so low? maybe its just us being short arses!

Cheers

Simon