Is my 2015 Qashqai is a Lemon?

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
giftedmidfielder

Post by giftedmidfielder »

I took the plunge and ordered my first new car last summer after decades of buying used cars and went and leased a 1.6diesel Qashqai. It was great for about 7 weeks then the faults started to happen. I'm starting to regret the decision now.

Since the end of August:

Sat Nav/Bluetooth/Stereo system degenerated to the point where it had to be re=programed.
Boot would lock when open and not unlock without manual force.
Car would be powerless upon starting - On-going
Battery failure
Seized Fuel cap
Gear stick became disconnected from Gear Box at 60mph in 5th.
Car does a strange buckerooing sporadically upon starting.
The front parking sensors play up while driving
The front power socket stays on after car shut down.
The intelligent keys no longer talk to the car

The car has broken down in France on a cross-channel ferry and recently in the Cotswolds. Too many mornings when I had to give up on driving the car as it wouldn't start and had to find alternative means of transport.

Has anyone else had this many issues with a new Qashqai?
Last edited by giftedmidfielder on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

No, no one.
giftedmidfielder

Brilliant, thanks.
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

gvmdaddy wrote:No, no one.
Perhaps it would be more accurate to say all these problems have been suffered by someone, just no one person.
It does sound like an extensive list. If you search for individual problems you'll find that they have, most likely, been solved eventually.

It must be very disheartening to be going through this on your fist new car - especially when most seem to be enjoying theirs.
For me the worst of it would be the lack of trust that the vehicle will get you to your destination as this has to be the baseline requirement for a car!
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
giftedmidfielder

You've hit the nail on the head. In isolation each problem doesn't seem that bad but when a new one pops up every few weeks the trips to the dealership and the visits from the RAC get old quick. When I leave for work now I have to check the car works an hour before I need to hit the road. In 27 years of car and motorcycle ownership I can add all the mechanical problems from all the cars and bikes together and still come short of the issues suffered by the Qashqai.

Nissan have now towed the vehicle to my local dealership. Now the problem is they decided not to tell me they were taking it so I still have the keys which means they can't start work on the vehicle.

Essentially I don;t trust this car anymore. It's left me stranded too many times. Luckily I was on my own and not with my young kids or even worse that my wife wasn't left stranded for three hours on a blind bend at midnight in -5c in the Cotswolds/Brittany etc or that she wasn't driving down a dual carriage-way at 60mph when the gear stick became disconnected with no-where to pull over.
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Mine had plenty of issues and it's now gone.
Of your specific i only had the two (parking sensors and battery).

I think / believe the front power socket is always live by design so i'm not sure that's a fault (or mine was faulty in the same manor).
The one in the centre console / armrest turns off after 60 seconds / ignition.

Some of the issues appear to be poor design, others are poor "parts" and some of it's just badly screwed together.
Conversely there are lots of happy people on here.

Three months on i don't regret cutting my losses at all.
Nissan no more...
giftedmidfielder

AlleyCat wrote:Mine had plenty of issues and it's now gone.
Of your specific i only had the two (parking sensors and battery).

I think / believe the front power socket is always live by design so i'm not sure that's a fault (or mine was faulty in the same manor).
The one in the centre console / armrest turns off after 60 seconds / ignition.

Some of the issues appear to be poor design, others are poor "parts" and some of it's just badly screwed together.
Conversely there are lots of happy people on here.

Three months on i don't regret cutting my losses at all.
HI, how did you convince Nissan to take the car back?

In a perfect world I would like them to take mine back and replace it with a new or similar age/mileage model with the same spec. When the car is working I love it. It's the nicest car I've owned when it's all working. The shame is that it's so often not working and being stranded repeatedly in the middle of no-where isn't fun.. Nor is jumping in your car to drive across the country for a meeting and the thing won't start.

Cheers
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

giftedmidfielder wrote:
HI, how did you convince Nissan to take the car back?

In a perfect world I would like them to take mine back and replace it with a new or similar age/mileage model with the same spec. When the car is working I love it. It's the nicest car I've owned when it's all working. The shame is that it's so often not working and being stranded repeatedly in the middle of no-where isn't fun.. Nor is jumping in your car to drive across the country for a meeting and the thing won't start.

Cheers
I didn't.
I traded it for something else and took a small financial hit to get rid of it (with a 100 mile round trip).
The dealer, although nice, was pretty ineffective.
Nissan UK aren't massively interested.

In the end I worked out how much time and effort I'd spent on trying to get everything resolved.
It equated to more dealer visits than my previous 20 years of motoring (including services and MOT's).
Once I'd weighed that into the equation and the fact i no longer had any trust in the car i just decided to move on.

I know people on here that have cars from the same dealer who have no issues at all (one lives up the road from me).
I got a poor example and realised sometimes life is too short, especially when the support from the dealer/manufacturer isn't there.
Nissan no more...
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Have you told the lease company? I'd have thought that they'd have more influence than you (in the nicest possible way) to get it sorted or replaced
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

rod9669 makes a valid point. It is in their interest to sort out the problems fo you. As a vehicle on lease I would imagine your contract is with them.