Best Diesel Fuel

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I'm just in the middle of changing my 1.5dci Juke to a 1.5dci QQ.
I use bog standard Tesco diesel almost exclusively and regularly get low 50's mpg around town with very high 50's and low 60's on motorway runs.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

If anybody finds any fuel 'iffy', then I suggest you change your supply. If your car runs rough, then change garage as it maybe that the tanks used by that garage car contaminated. Every now and then you hear about a petrol station having contaminated tanks which can cause faults with a car.

All fuel in the UK is supplied from the same distributer. Its at that point the base fuel is modified with detergents/other additives however they should all confirm to the same basic BS standard.

Yes, the more expensive 'super fuels' should in theory be better due to their increase in resistance to detonation (petrol) or offer a better type of burn (diesel) to increase performance marginally, but unless you are running your engine to the very edge of its performance, a 'standard run of the mill car' should be happy on your basic fuel from your super market!*

* = Unless otherwise stipulated by the manuf or engine tuner.
switchback

Post by switchback »

SplanK wrote: All fuel in the UK is supplied from the same distributer. Its at that point the base fuel is modified with detergents/other additives however they should all confirm to the same basic BS standard.
Why was it only the cars that filled up from Tesco a couple of years ago that broke down due to contaminated fuel? This was nationwide and not any individual filling station.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

switchback wrote:
SplanK wrote: All fuel in the UK is supplied from the same distributer. Its at that point the base fuel is modified with detergents/other additives however they should all confirm to the same basic BS standard.
Why was it only the cars that filled up from Tesco a couple of years ago that broke down due to contaminated fuel? This was nationwide and not any individual filling station.
I don't know..... possibility that there was an issue with the mixture of additives.

However, who's to say the same problem with what ever contamination cant happen with Shell, Texaco, Asda blah blah blah fuels (and if you do a quick google, it shows up all sorts all over the country for most brands of filling stations)?

I think its been rather unfair to single out a particular brand of filling station, when the same thing can, and has happened to other filling stations! Its like saying because X Nissan dealership is bad, that that makes ALL Nissan dealerships bad by proxy.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

MPG and longevity (DPF problems etc) are all down to the way you drive. I do 25k/annum and my mpg varies from mid 40's to low 60's depending on what mood I'm in, traffic etc. I always go for the cheapest I can (except Tesco, because they charge what they can get away with in each locality) and have found no difference in performance - the 1.5 DCI has no low-down torque no-matter what rocket fuel you use ;)
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Tankers from many differant companies use the same facilities, especially supermarkets as they dont make the fuel themselfs. If i remeber correctly from other forum posts and from some time ago, the additives are added as the tanker is filled up.

switchback wrote: Why was it only the cars that filled up from Tesco a couple of years ago that broke down due to contaminated fuel? This was nationwide and not any individual filling station.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

switchback wrote:
30+million vehicles on UK roads and only a few dozen had issues after filling up at Tesco. Maybe it was a contamination issue, but they maybe it was disgruntled Tesco emplyees/ex employees sticking the boot in.
I currently fill up at Costco. No one can beat the price and my cars running great.