Rattling from speedo and rev meter surround

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
nissandan

Post by nissandan »

Hi guys

I have had the car for 3 days and it has just started to making a rattle / vibration from the plastic surround of the speedo and rev counter. There is a gap on the centre side of these which has a clear seal and these surrounds must be vibrating against the dash perspex glass.

This is very iritating and only stops if the surrounds are held down, or I suppose glued down.

Does your surrounds have these gaps as shown in the photo (and second photo shows no gap if pressed down)?

Thanks

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

benchmark

Post by benchmark »

There's an echo here :?
nissandan

Post by nissandan »

Thought i would put it in the section that has the most posts/replies in order to try and get the best response. Can you be of any help with this or not?
nissandan

Post by nissandan »

Can anyone help me on this one? On the right hand side of your rev counter and left hand side of your speedo is the raised surround stuck/attached to the perspex screen behind or is it "loose" with a translucent seal behind it?

This part of each surround on mine is not stuck to the perspex and must be moving when the car is driving and therefore making a very annoying and relentless vibration.

Should the surround completely be stuck or attached to the perspex all the way round?

Thanks

Thanks
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

The dial surround is not stuck down. I assume it is clipped into place along its outer edges where it meets the dashboard. Attached to the underside of the dial surrounds is a soft flexible rubber seal that wil prevent rattling. On mine it also leaves a gap as on yours. Push the corner of your bank card underneath slightly and pull outwards and you will both feel and see the rubber seal. I suspect your annoying rattle may be coming from elsewhere. I had a ratttle that sounded like it was coming from the passenger door, but after months of presssing on different parts it turned out to be the side panel of the centre console housing the gear lever.
Edit.
Just remembered I had exactly the same scenario as you when my car was new. It righted itself after a month or so as the car bedded in.
nissandan

Post by nissandan »

Thank you. Mine is a 65 plate. Had it for 70 miles so far and no noise until last 5-10 miles yesterday. Weird and annoying.

I can see the rubber seal but i was convinced this is where it was coming from as when I pressed the surround in it stopped. Wasnt sure whether a spray of silicone spray may be worthwhile.

Perhaps that isnt where it is coming from.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Silicon spray or just plain old Mr Pledge!
The car interior is prone to clicking noises, particularly in either hot or cold weather. It's just surfaces moving against one another. Furniture polish has always worked for me.
nissandan

Post by nissandan »

Thanks for your response. I will give that a whirl.
nissandan

Post by nissandan »

Took it for another spin and it actually isnt coming from where I thought it was. I think it is coming from where the bottom of the windscreen meets far front of the dash (think thats what its called).

Drivers side you can clearly see some foam poking up (which you cant push down) whereas on passenger side you cant see the foam, but can feel it if you try to.

I am not sure if this is just loose or incorrectly installed on drivers side which is why foam is protruding and therefore is vibrating.

Not sure if there is anything I can do to sort it?

The pics below shows the black foam circled in green.

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG

Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

I had this, it was the air ducting rat telling behind that vent, the vent will pop up if you pry it up from one end and work along and pull it up, I ended up padding under there with stick back foam strips and from under the passenger footwell and putting my hand up behind the dash where the ducting is near the top and shoving some foam pipe lagging in between the ducting pipe work to put some tension on it, that was 2 years ago and not heard a thing since! Hope that helps?