2 months and a 1500 miles in.

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Quick report on the Tekna. I bought it at 4 months old, ex demo with 6,000 on the clock. It had actually been used most of the time by the senior sales guy to commute to work. I traded in a 2012 BMW 320D for this car. I use the car every day for work, travelling between different locations with my job although I haven't driven it much over the last month as I've been off.

Plus points over the BMW.

Quieter.

Higher ride, obviously.

Better equipped, I love the pano roof and the thermaclear.

More boot space.

Not as many rattles.

More relaxing to drive as I drive it slower for no apparent reason.

Minus points over the BMW.

Definitely down on power. Not surprising you may think but I've been caught out squirting past an artic which would have been an effortless task in the BMW but in the QQ I was pretty close to oncoming traffic, not dangerously so but enough to make me think twice when I go to overtake something now.

Doesn't handle as well, again no surprise there.

It took me probably a month to get a comfortable seating position. It's fine now but I had aches all over until I got it spot on.

It's uses more fuel than the BMW. Not a great deal but I'm averaging a true 45 mpg with the QQ and it was about 50 mpg in the BMW.

The parking sensor/camera sometimes comes on for no apparent reason. It's only happened twice but still, it shouldn't happen at all.

The one thing I do miss every day is the fact that you can program the radio buttons on the BMW to do whatever you want. I spend a fair bit of time on the phone with work related stuff. So I had the last three programmed with phone numbers that I use a lot. Just one press and you were through instead of flogging through menus on the QQ, I think that Nissan missed a trick there as I do find it annoying and potentially dangerous to start scrolling through menus.

The Sat Nav takes you some weird and wonderful ways, certainly not the quickest or most economical. When I bought the car I used it on journeys that I do every week and know like the back of my hand just to try it out. I couldn't figure out what it was doing half the time, it took me sometimes miles out of the way. I only use it now when in with a chance of getting lost in a town center for example as I don't really trust it.

Having said all of that it's a great car to drive. Very comfortable (now...!), quiet and relaxing. Moving back to a manual was no grief at all, I don't even notice changing gear. It's been back to the dealership once to cure The Rattle (air filter box), other than that it's been totally reliable apart from the twice I had the camera come on for no reason.

I just wish it had more oomph... :D
2016 1.6D Tekna in Storm White, chrome pack, mudflaps and glass roof.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

DaveW, a nice bit of feedback on your QQ.
With regard to phoning I never play around with the scrolling of telephone numbers whilst driving. I always use with OK an iPhone "Siri" by just pressing the Steering Wheel Button for a couple of secs and then addressing "Siri" for the number you want to call. I have found it important that when you ask for a name, what is on the iPhone contact list should be the same and clearly spoken. When dialing sometimes it works directly and sometimes it asks "Home or mobile ?." Overall quite satisfied with this - Dave ;)
Try using the "Search" Facility there are comments there also :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Crikey didn't know you could do that. Many thanks for the tip I'll try it tomorrow.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It does indeed work a treat even with the phone in my pocket. The only number it doesn't recognise is 'Home' for some weird reason so I've changed 'Home' to 'David Home' and it works fine. Many thanks for the tip, you don't know how useful that was!
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Think system prefers 2 syllables; so an alternative for home could be "her indoors"!

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Ah, never thought of the two syllable thing, good call.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Dave, glad it worked out for you. Now that is funny with your comment because Siri sometimes asks "Home or Mobile" so it could be the way we speak being perhaps not clear enough. At least it is sorted Great - Dave :D
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken