Customer requirements cycle carriers

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Craig_Broadbent

Post by Craig_Broadbent »

If you were going to buy a cycle carrier for your Qashqai and offered the following options which would you go for?

3 cycle carrier with tilting (to aid trunk access), and locking of bikes and carrier and full electrics including fog and reverse for £400, or
2 cycle carrier without tilt or locking and reduced lights (Including brakes, driving lights and indicators, but no fog or reverse) for £300, or
3 cycle hanger type carrier with no lights (not so legal) for £200

catnash

Post by catnash »

I went to Nissan to do mine, there was nothing in it than my usual route of a third party fitting. My Thule one tilts but my Halfords 4 bike rack doesnt. I've given up on those hanger type years ago.

IMG_20160706_110819475.jpg

1.2 Auris TS, Yaris 1.5.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Craig, we were talking and investigating the purchase of a couple of E-Bikes (big bucks for a start), then it got onto the Bike Carrier & the Tow Bar etc..... For the Carrier we looked at stuff from Thule but as usual there are various options including ones that fold and are carrierable. The Tow Bar can also have a permanent Fixed Ball or a removable one and the Carrier was Tiltable and could be Locked (for the full spec you need to use the web).
I think you really need to look at a stable Carrier which costs against an unstable one that is on the cheap side. Over here this type of Bike transport is very popular and when you look at all the vehicles travelling up to the North of Germany in the Summer it is a frightening experience.

We also went to our Nissan Dealer and we were quoted as follows for example :
Thule 915 €400 / Thule 931 Foldable €560
Tow Bar KE500-4E520 + Electrics KE505-4E213 = €566
Tow Bar Removeable KE500-4E530 + Electics KE505-4E213 = €752 (both prices include Installation / labour

So in a Nut Shell we are still thinking about the total option - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Craig_Broadbent

I am developing a new fixing method for rear of vehicle which does not need a towbar. This is cheaper, lighter and does not protrude from rear of bumper.
Trying to decide what specification of carrier to offer.
Testing 3 cycles to Tuv standards at the moment.
Fitting will be as US hitch.
catnash

Post by catnash »

Be interesting to see Craig, too late for my car however would it negate the requirement for wiring? Would have got a Focus ST if it would have been able to have a tow hitch/bike rack.
1.2 Auris TS, Yaris 1.5.
Craig_Broadbent

Thanks for the support. I think you would need the electrics too. You need to keep the lights visible so it depends on bike size.