Nissan to decide in Nov if next Qashqai will be built in UK

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Rob
Site Admin
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Rob »

Nissan Motor Co. will make a decision next month on whether to produce the next Qashqai SUV at its Sunderland plant in the UK following the country's decision to leave the European Union, CEO Carlos Ghosn said today.

IMG_1577.PNG

Production of the new Qashqai is expected to begin around 2018 or 2019. The time it takes to bring a new car into production means Nissan needs to decide on the location of its next-generation model soon.

Ghosn last week met with UK Prime Minister Theresa May after warning the country's decision to exit the European Union could halt investment at the plant in northern England.

The Sunderland factory, which builds the popular Qashqai and many other models exported throughout Europe, is the UK's largest car plant, producing 475,000 vehicles last year, of which 80 percent were exported.

"We're not asking for any advantage [from the UK government], but we don't want to lose any competitiveness no matter what the discussions," Ghosn told reporters at Nissan's company headquarters in Yokohama.

Ghosn said he had received reassurance that the UK government would be "extremely cautious" in "preserving the competitiveness" of the Sunderland plant. "As long as I have this guarantee ... I can look at the future of Sunderland with more ease," he said.

Spain alternative

Media reports have said that Renault's plant in Palencia, Spain, which builds the similarly-sized Renault Kadjar compact SUV could be an alternative Qashqai production within the EU. Nissan has just begun production of its Micra subcompact, which was once built in Sunderland, at a Renault factory in Flins, France. Renault has a controlling 43.4 percent stake in Nissan.

Businesses have been concerned that the UK is headed towards a "hard Brexit", which would leave it outside the single market and facing tariffs of up to 10 percent on car exports.

About 61 percent of votes cast from Sunderland during the June 23 referendum favored leaving the EU.

Source: http://europe.autonews.com/article/2016 ... /161029978

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Not sure if this is a 'shot across the bow', but its not great news and I fully expect Nissan to make the next model outside of the UK given the investment needed, its not as though they would fully pull out and can still use the factory at a later date.

But with this news, as well as other news about banks on the tipping edge of pushing the big red button to relocate, and prices (certainty in my line of work,) going up almost 10%/20% per month before we event part ways with the EU is going to make some interesting times.

I do feel as though the generation currently in their 30's (myself!) and in some respect the generation after are going to find getting old very tough!
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

This appeared in the "Sun" on the 21st Oct. is the statement correct that a Deal has been approved or is this reporting and are they jumping the gun ? - Dave ;)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2026336/n ... xit-boost/
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Saw this on the "Beep" website this morning - Dave :o

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39387439
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

A good article, it made interesting reading.
DaveBerlin wrote:Saw this on the "Beep" website this morning - Dave :o

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39387439