iPod USB issue

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Hi All,

Since acquiring the QQ a few months back I've been using my old iPod classic 80gb connected to the USB and it sounds great. This iPod is the one with the old connector not the lightning one.
One irritating niggle which doesn't always happen but more often than not is that when playing consecutive tracks (on a play list Or an album) the car will play the first few seconds of the next track then stop then play the whole track. It's obviously not a big deal but it does get annoying on a long journey.
Has anyone else come across this? Is it maybe because I have an older iPod ? I've tried a reset but makes no difference.

Clint C

Post by Clint C »

Hi there.

I had this issue with my old iPhone 4S with the old connector. My assumption in the end was it was the interface slot itself that was the source of the issue as changing the cable made no difference and the connector in the phone is bound to wear after time. My lad's newer iPhone 5S worked fine with the lightning connector. I was going to replace the connector interface on the phone but have since moved away from Apple altogether.

Not sure this helps but just my thoughts on the issue.
2014 1.2 DIG-T Tekna, Gunmetal
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Cheers Clint I wonder if it is simply a case of having an iPod with the old connector? My son also has the new one but as he never plays two tracks on the run it's a hard one to judge! Anyway It's good to know that someone else has had the problem
Nick

Post by Nick »

Moribund wrote:Hi All,

Since acquiring the QQ a few months back I've been using my old iPod classic 80gb connected to the USB and it sounds great. This iPod is the one with the old connector not the lightning one.
One irritating niggle which doesn't always happen but more often than not is that when playing consecutive tracks (on a play list Or an album) the car will play the first few seconds of the next track then stop then play the whole track. It's obviously not a big deal but it does get annoying on a long journey.
Has anyone else come across this? Is it maybe because I have an older iPod ? I've tried a reset but makes no difference.
I have the same problem with my iPod Classic (around 50% of the time) and notice that once the track starts for the 2nd time, the track "timer" stays on 0:00 until approx. 10 seconds into the music - it then jumps to 0:10 and at the same time the track artwork appears, having been blank beforehand; very odd.

If that wasn't irritating enough, I've also had tracks repeating themselves ad infinitum - neither the repeat button on the console or 'repeat all' within the iPod menu is activated when the iPod is connected - yet whenever I check it after a track starts repeating, the iPod menu indicates that 'repeat all' is selected.

Hopefully someone might have a fix of some sort! Whilst I'm on the subject of iPod connectivity.......why does the system need to index the device each and every time the car is started; what is it actually doing, surely all the 'indexing' data is already stored within the iPod?
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Nick - is your iPod classic the old style connector or the lightning type? I think the old iPod classic like mine was a 80 gb and the new one doubled in size.

Interesting point about the track timer - will check that to see if I get the same.

Never had the repeat issue. Does that happen often? When you say ad infinitum do you mean it continually repeats the same track until you manually stop it?
Nick

Post by Nick »

It's an iPod classic (80 GB) with the old connector.

Regarding the repeat issue - yes, it continually repeats the same track until stopped or manually advanced to the next track; which will then also repeat itself. Trying a different album or playlist is hit or miss - sometimes the repeat issue goes away, other times it remains.
Nightshade

Post by Nightshade »

My iPod Touch 2nd Gen with old connector does the repeat thing. Also, when I'm playing an album it will pay 5/6 tracks and then randomly change over to just playing songs in alpha order, from the track its just played on the album - it also forgets the album cover art as it scrolls through the album to this point. It also does the indexing thing - not sure what is indexing, or why. I restored the iPod in case it was that and the dealer flashed the Connect software - neither helped. I've now decided life's too short to worry and just put it on Mix. Low and behold, it likes that; all the album art displays and I get to hear tracks I haven't heard for a while - I believe its what software engineers call a feature. :-)
Leicestershire, UK - 1.5diesel Tekna Pan Roof in Nightshade
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Old 30 pin connector seems to be a reoccurring theme here. Not sure all issues will be linked to this but seems to be a factor. You can get adaptors to convert the old connector to a lightning - be interested to see if that improves anything. Probably not.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Why not just buy a 128Gb USB stick and use that?
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

rod9669 wrote:Why not just buy a 128Gb USB stick and use that?
Been thinking about that. If you copy folders for each artists then sub folders for albums will that give you the same functionality as an iPod? You obviously wouldn't get playlists but I could live without that. Good thing would be that you could just leave it in the car :D