2015 J11 1.5 Acenta+ Starting Issue

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
psmith83

Post by psmith83 »

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

I went to a garage to repair a puncture last Friday. Whilst waiting the engineer comes and say I can't start your car. I'm thinking it's not difficult, try myself and it won't start. Spinning noise coming from engine and they suggest starter motor is going, just the pins not connecting. They repair the tyre, bump start the car and I take it down to local Nissan dealership.

They have replaced the starter motor but that hasn't fixed it and now they are stuck. Have called in Nissan technical guy to help with diagnostics but still don't have a clue. The have eliminated flywheel / gearbox and are running more checks.

Anyone have any suggestions I can put to them?

P.S. customer service is poor. I am calling them everyday for an update (because they aren't calling me) and often have to call five / six times before I get through. Finally today I am getting a courtesy car, lets hope it is not a tin on wheels!

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

When the start motor was removed did they check the toothed ring fitted around the flywheel is still there & secure. I guess it could be possible the ring cracked, that loses the friction that grips it tightly as its a friction fit and it just spins. Its just a guess mind you.
psmith83 wrote:I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

I went to a garage to repair a puncture last Friday. Whilst waiting the engineer comes and say I can't start your car. I'm thinking it's not difficult, try myself and it won't start. Spinning noise coming from engine and they suggest starter motor is going, just the pins not connecting. They repair the tyre, bump start the car and I take it down to local Nissan dealership.

They have replaced the starter motor but that hasn't fixed it and now they are stuck. Have called in Nissan technical guy to help with diagnostics but still don't have a clue. The have eliminated flywheel / gearbox and are running more checks.

Anyone have any suggestions I can put to them?

P.S. customer service is poor. I am calling them everyday for an update (because they aren't calling me) and often have to call five / six times before I get through. Finally today I am getting a courtesy car, lets hope it is not a tin on wheels!
psmith83

Post by psmith83 »

When the start motor was removed did they check the toothed ring fitted around the flywheel is still there & secure. I guess it could be possible the ring cracked, that loses the friction that grips it tightly as its a friction fit and it just spins. Its just a guess mind you.
That is what the first garage where I was having the puncture repaired suggested. I mentioned this to Nissan so I am hoping they looked at this especially. You could hear something spinning when trying to start the engine. After replacing the starter motor they investigated the flywheel but after running diagnostics they ruled the flywheel and gearbox out.