New oil black after 1day

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Bros

Post by Bros »

My car had its first service yesterday.
Went out to check the oil level.
I was quite surprised to see the the new oil is black in colour already.

Any comments on this.
Thanks

Bobby
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2017 Ink Blue j11 Mk2
Previously - QQ 1.5dci NTEC 2015 Black j11 Mk2

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Bobby

From new, my QQs oil took an age before it started to turn dark. I've not had a service yet, but will sure watch to see how quick the oil changes colour after its done.

This makes we think, when your QQs oil change was carried out, did all the crap get removed? Its common knowledge to at least warm the engine up to get the oil nice and fluid before the oil change, this may not have happened. Some garriage may not even remove the sump plug, but stick a vacuum pipe into the oil dipstick tube to draw out the oil to save time.

Bros wrote:My car had its first service yesterday.
Went out to check the oil level.
I was quite surprised to see the the new oil is black in colour already.

Any comments on this.
Thanks

Bobby
Bros

Post by Bros »

Thanks for your reply Daewar.
It did cross my mind that maybe all of the old hadn't been removed, but surely these guys are doing this for a living.
They must have a set procedure for carrying out this simplistic task.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2017 Ink Blue j11 Mk2
Previously - QQ 1.5dci NTEC 2015 Black j11 Mk2
daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Hi

My Qashqai is going in for a first service on 4 October. It is a 1.6 CVT, but I intend to check the oil colour when I pick it up, and shall then keep a close eye on how quickly it changes to black.

My car was meant to have been serviced when I bought it from the dealer, but they have agreed to service it again, at no cost, as the oil is as black as anything, the service book has not been stamped and the service interval reminder on the dash was not reset (if it was serviced). So after a complaint to the dealer principal, they agreed to service it again as they hadn't any proof it had been serviced. The principal did try and fob me off by saying that oil in diesel engines does go black almost as soon as they have been serviced, but I pointed out to him that the oil in my previous car (Astra 2.0 diesel auto) took a lot longer to start turning a darker shade.

I will keep you posted as to how fast the colour changes!

Cheers

Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

First and subsequent oil services result in the oil darkening a little more quickly than the first fill, but not much quicker. When the oil is drained you never get all of it out, there is always some residual left which will mix with the new making it look darker almost straight away.
Hackney

Post by Hackney »

daddydoug wrote:Hi

My Qashqai is going in for a first service on 4 October. It is a 1.6 CVT, but I intend to check the oil colour when I pick it up, and shall then keep a close eye on how quickly it changes to black.

My car was meant to have been serviced when I bought it from the dealer, but they have agreed to service it again, at no cost, as the oil is as black as anything, the service book has not been stamped and the service interval reminder on the dash was not reset (if it was serviced). So after a complaint to the dealer principal, they agreed to service it again as they hadn't any proof it had been serviced. The principal did try and fob me off by saying that oil in diesel engines does go black almost as soon as they have been serviced, but I pointed out to him that the oil in my previous car (Astra 2.0 diesel auto) took a lot longer to start turning a darker shade.

I will keep you posted as to how fast the colour changes!

Cheers

Doug
Had my oil changed at the first "free service" (1,000ks) paid to have the oil changed(not included in this service.)oil is still a dark golden brown @ 5000ks.Yet my Ecoboost Ford within a few hundered Kay's is very dark.Spoken to a few of the guy's on the Ford forums with the Ecoboost Falcon variant all the same colour.Seems indicative of this type of engine.Was also speaking to my local Ford dealer service advisor he was saying that the Ford Ranger deisel variants oil also go black very quickly.Cheers:):)
Living the dream!