Alloys marked

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Bros

Post by Bros »

My car alloys (Diamond cut I believe) have horrible marks on them.
I have read on the forum about this (worm) or something similar named.
This is caused by the alloy protectors causing water ingress to the alloy seals.
Had my first service today, it was noted that the alloys seals have been breached thus causing the pitting, worm effect or whatever it is called.
Of course, I was told this is not a defect of the alloy which I agree with however, Nissan fitted these rubber protectors when new so, why are they not liable for this?
I think I know where they may say should I challenge this issue.

Any comments welcome

Cheers
Bobby
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2017 Ink Blue j11 Mk2
Previously - QQ 1.5dci NTEC 2015 Black j11 Mk2

switchback

Post by switchback »

Did they warn you about the potential problem when they fitted them?

I had my first service a few weeks ago and they asked me if I wanted them to remove the alloygators to prevent the corrosion issues. I've kept them on as it's cheaper to have the wheels refurbished than replaced due to kerbing. I won't expect a successful warranty claim on corrosion though as I've been pre-warned.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Bros

Post by Bros »

switchback wrote:Did they warn you about the potential problem when they fitted them?

I had my first service a few weeks ago and they asked me if I wanted them to remove the alloygators to prevent the corrosion issues. I've kept them on as it's cheaper to have the wheels refurbished than replaced due to kerbing. I won't expect a successful warranty claim on corrosion though as I've been pre-warned.
I bought the car 2nd hand 8 month old, the car was an ex-rental.
These protectors as far as I can see were fitted by Nissan when new.
Can I prove this....unfortunately not.

Cheers
Bobby
switchback

Post by switchback »

Probably fitted by the rental company.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Bros

Post by Bros »

switchback wrote:Probably fitted by the rental company.
Thanks, kinda thought that
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

As already said, rental companies fit them, Nissan dont.
Scottw333
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Scottw333 »

Had this on one of my wheels (no protectors or gators fitted). All five spokes were starting to corrode near the centre so was obviously not due to any kerbing. My dealer replaced the wheel (along with roof bar end caps) at first service under warranty. Apparently they sent photos to Nissan to authorise the warranty claim when it was in a couple of months before the service for a software update recall.
2022/22 J12 ceramic grey DIG-T 158 MHEV Tekna
2018/68 J11b gun metal 1.6 DIG-T Tekna
2015/65 J11 magnetic red 1.6 DIG-T n-tec+
2010/10 J10b silver 1.6 n-tec
Bluey59

Post by Bluey59 »

Had two of my alloys replaced under warranty owing to the dreaded white worm (water ingress under the lacquer causing delamination).
I was told that if there was evidence if stone chip or other inflicted damage (there wasnt) that they wouldn't be replaced under warranty.
I also have the rim protectors fitted but the white worm was not near the rim protectors.
2014 Blade silver 1.5 dci NTEC
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Sadly I was the original member who first brought up the AlloyGaytors back in early 2014 and what a disaster they proved to be. Creating white worm underneath them which quickly spread to the outer edge which them oxidised and the lacquer came off.
I had my wheels sandblasted, primed and painted in glossy black back in April this year and I must admit I think they now look better than the original wheels (photo's somewhere on the forum) and black really suits a white car.

I would suggest anyone thinking of fitting AlloyGaytors thinks twice, they may save your rims from damage but will ruin there appearance over time.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors