Picked up QQ last night - couple of questions

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

daddydoug wrote:Hi Teknaman

I bought a nearly new Qashqai (Registered Oct 2015) in June of this year, it was an ex rental car and had covered 11700 miles. When making the purchase I told the sales guy that I was a little concerned at how worn the front tyres were. The rear ones were as good as new. He assured me that it would have a thorough maintenance check and that they would be replaced before I collected the car if the mechanic thought necessary. When I collected the car the tyres had not been changed, but being too excited about collecting the car I just accepted it. However when I got home and my excitement had worn off a bit, I depth gauged the front tyres to find that they were barely on 3mm, so in my opinion should have been replaced. I went back to the garage a couple of days later, and a mechanic happened to be walking past so I asked him if he thought the tyres needed replacing, without telling him that I had recently picked the car up. He checked them, and said yes he would recommend changing them. So with that ammunition I went into the showroom and asked for them to be changed. After a bit of debate, they agreed to change the tyres, but with some crap make I had never heard of. I told them that the rear tyres were as good as new, so this meant the tyres have never been rotated (front to backs). The service manager told me that rotating the tyres is a matter of choice, so I informed him to read the QQ handbook which recommends rotating tyres, something which I always do on my cars. In the end they agreed to put on two new tyres to match the rear ones.

Is your car an ex rental car? If so then I guess as suggested it has been driven by people with a heavy foot, like I guess mine was. I love the Qashqai and am very pleased with it, but Nissan dealership is something else, as they cocked so much up when purchasing the car. Again when I picked it up they told me what a rigorous check the cars go through. I had to point out that the car was actually missing its aerial so their checks are not that rigorous! I have owned Vauxhalls for many years and the Vauxhall dealership I have dealt with are by far and away superior.

If I were you I would go back to the dealership and give them the tyre rotation recommendation as per the handbook, because like my QQ, it appears your tyres have never been rotated either.
Cheers daddydoug. Indeed I usually do the same rotation with the wife's car, but did so less with my last few as 4x4's. Good way to tackle the issue with the dealer though. I did speak to the salesman earlier & pointed out that I expected better from them & Nissan. He was going to pull the workshop report & get back to me. If he doesn't I'll be back on his case. Having checked the depths again tonight, they clearly ought to have been replaced.

I don't know for sure it's an ex rental (but my X Trail turned out to be - Hertz)...this one is supposed to be Nissan Management, but until I get the V5 through I won't know.

I've learnt a very expensive lesson here (having taken about a £3k loss on the X Trail in 4 months !!) & I certainly won't buy another car this way, but was really cornered in order to get shot of the X Trail. I just needed to get rid of it!
2015 Qashqai 1.6 2wd Dci Tekna Ink Blue with Pano roof...otherwise it's standard spec, so lots of scope for additions.

daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

When I asked the history of my QQ the sales guy told me it was a Nissan management car. Then when I got the V5 through (eventually) it told me it was a Hertz rental car. I wasn't very happy as probably would never have bought an ex rental car. I hope the Nissan dealership you dealt with have told you the truth!
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

daddydoug wrote:When I asked the history of my QQ the sales guy told me it was a Nissan management car. Then when I got the V5 through (eventually) it told me it was a Hertz rental car. I wasn't very happy as probably would never have bought an ex rental car. I hope the Nissan dealership you dealt with have told you the truth!
Aye, I have my doubts TBH ! All round experience has been very frustrating, disappointing & certainly not what I expected from a main dealer. I hope they can redeem themselves....will see.
2015 Qashqai 1.6 2wd Dci Tekna Ink Blue with Pano roof...otherwise it's standard spec, so lots of scope for additions.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Maybe, maybe not.

You guys may be getting slight wheel slip / spin pulling away. I may not be getting that so none of my wheels slip & my tyres last longer. Like i said earlier, my tyres are like new. If i remember i will go measure the tread depth.
gvmdaddy wrote:
Daewar wrote:Another good reason for 4x4 :)
Tom40my wrote:The continental tyres to me are rubbish I've owned many nissan over the years with continental tyres on and have yet to get more than 15000 miles out of the front set. my qashqai now has 13000 miles on and a new set of fronts is due I'm down to 2 mm and im not heavy footed or go round corners at speed it's just the nature of those tyres
Just means the rear tyres will wear a little quicker and the fronts a little slower than on a 2 wheel drive, that's all, they won't last longer at all.
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

Teknaman wrote:
Interesting to hear Tom40my, thanks for the reply. I'm going to look into alternatives for the Conti's but it's always slightly risky straying from the standard OEM fitted tyres.
I am just wondering, why is it risky using another brand tyre?

2016 1.2 DIG-T Tekna Magnetic Red
daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Hi Teknaman

Does your cars reg number begin with a "KN" by any chance? My QQ had a KN start to the reg number, although I now have my personal plate on the car. I only ask because I believe there are a few ex rental QQ's being shipped around the country for sale, and their reg numbers appear to all begin "KN." Just curious if yours is one of those?

Cheers
Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

Doug, no it's a VK plate, but I've seen loads of them around too.

ChrisDK - cars will have been tested with one particular tyre fitted - Conti's in my QQ's case. Another tyre may not suit the QQ & it's characteristics - noiser etc & generally you won't know until you fit them. I didn't necessarily mean from a safety perspective, although personally I don't like to mix tyres on a car & certainly not on an axle.
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

Teknaman wrote:Doug, no it's a VK plate, but I've seen loads of them around too.

ChrisDK - cars will have been tested with one particular tyre fitted - Conti's in my QQ's case. Another tyre may not suit the QQ & it's characteristics - noiser etc & generally you won't know until you fit them. I didn't necessarily mean from a safety perspective, although personally I don't like to mix tyres on a car & certainly not on an axle.
I think they test more than one tyre, my 66 plate has got Bridgestone Dueler h/p sport fitted.
Gel

Post by Gel »

and others such as Dave Berlin, had Dunlop's fitted from new.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

Ok, thanks guys, that's good to know. Maybe some more options for me them. Cheers.