Swapping wheels front to back

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
ChillQash

Post by ChillQash »

Went to a very good local garage to get the wheels swapped to even out the tyre wear and was told it can't be done due to the tyre sensors been programmed for certain wheels. Is this correct? Thanks

simmo400

Post by simmo400 »

As I have had new tyres on the front of my QQ I could tell that the garage had swapped the wheels when the tyres were fitted. This has made no difference in the reading of the tyre pressures at all. So id say this was in accurate to presume the sensors are linked on the position of the car.
Simmo
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

False info. The tpms recalibrates itself after a few miles of being driven after the wheels are moved.
Brill

Post by Brill »

I never understood the idea behind swapping the wheels. Doesn't this just mean all your tyres wear out at once, landing you with one huge bill ? I prefer to spread the cost and let them wear out one at a time.
1.6 DCI CVT Acenta Premium September 2014
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

4x4 drive systems like the tyres to be all at the same diameter, small differences can cause automatic systems to engage 4x4 mode as the wheel rotate at different speeds, this in turn causes stress on the drive system. I had this with my Honda CRV when i put 2 new tyres of a different brand on the front, they had a bit more starting tread also, it made a whining noise that was not there before, it was not caused by the tread pattern.

Even 4x4 that have a manual 2wd / 4x4 selection can wine in 4x4 mode as the front wheels will rotate at a different speed to the rears.

As tyres age they tend to harden, this can and usually does reduce grip. If u keep the same set on the car all the tyres will all have the same level of grip as time passes by.

When the tyres need replacing you would have traveled the same distance as if you swapped say 2 sets of 2 tyres, so the cost is the same.

By the way, changing one tyre at a time does not make sense either, though I think u meant 1 axel ;)
Brill wrote:I never understood the idea behind swapping the wheels. Doesn't this just mean all your tyres wear out at once, landing you with one huge bill ? I prefer to spread the cost and let them wear out one at a time.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Brill wrote:I never understood the idea behind swapping the wheels. Doesn't this just mean all your tyres wear out at once, landing you with one huge bill ? I prefer to spread the cost and let them wear out one at a time.
True, but more often than not you can get a better price if you buy 4 tyres at once. Its always worked in my favour at least.