Looking for a bit of advice

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
MargateSteve

Post by MargateSteve »

Hi all.
A little over a year ago, my wife bought a 2012 Quashquai from a local Nissan dealer. The cost was £15000 and this was paid for via money left in her nans will. She only got a 1 year warranty as she could not afford the extra £1000 to extend it. The only reason she spent so much on the car was that she knew this was a one off opportunity and thought buy paying more to a trusted brand would get a good few years use out of it.
A couple of days later she got a call saying she could not have the one she had bought for quite a while as it actually had a private plate. She had already bought the insurance by this point so when she was offered another vehicle, she accepted.
It passed the MOT a few weeks back but then developed a slight rattle. This was inside of the warranty but as it was hard to fit in getting it looked at with needing it for work, it was final taken in two weeks after the warranty expired.
The rattle turned out to be a loose box, but the also informed her that the brake pads need replacing as does the gearbox. I am not sure what an MOT entails but as this was the same dealer I was quite surprised so much had gone wrong in a few weeks.
Even more surprising was that the repair bill was £7500, half the price paid for the car just over a year ago. In the end they offered to do it for £2500 but even that is simply money we do not have. Even if we did have it, when you spend £15000 on something, surely it is to be expected that you will get more than one year out of it.
I know that we should have got it seen to while in warranty but could not find the time and to be fair, did not expect it to be £7500 of rattle!
As things stand, we cannot afford the repair cost and selling it would be futile with the repair cost a buyer would face.
I am not sure what advice or suggestions I am really looking for but any would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Steve

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I cant offer any advice, but I would have thought that £15000 for an almost 3 year old QQ was a bit excessive.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

If you have informed Nissan of the fault before the warranty has expired then they should still do the work at their cost. If you have any problems go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and they will put you on the right track.

Also under consumer law, the goods have to be of satisfactory quality. But rather than me telling stuff about it, again "Citizens Advice Bureau" should put u on the correct path to resolving the problem.

Good Luck
MargateSteve wrote:Hi all.
A little over a year ago, my wife bought a 2012 Quashquai from a local Nissan dealer. The cost was £15000 and this was paid for via money left in her nans will. She only got a 1 year warranty as she could not afford the extra £1000 to extend it. The only reason she spent so much on the car was that she knew this was a one off opportunity and thought buy paying more to a trusted brand would get a good few years use out of it.
A couple of days later she got a call saying she could not have the one she had bought for quite a while as it actually had a private plate. She had already bought the insurance by this point so when she was offered another vehicle, she accepted.
It passed the MOT a few weeks back but then developed a slight rattle. This was inside of the warranty but as it was hard to fit in getting it looked at with needing it for work, it was final taken in two weeks after the warranty expired.
The rattle turned out to be a loose box, but the also informed her that the brake pads need replacing as does the gearbox. I am not sure what an MOT entails but as this was the same dealer I was quite surprised so much had gone wrong in a few weeks.
Even more surprising was that the repair bill was £7500, half the price paid for the car just over a year ago. In the end they offered to do it for £2500 but even that is simply money we do not have. Even if we did have it, when you spend £15000 on something, surely it is to be expected that you will get more than one year out of it.
I know that we should have got it seen to while in warranty but could not find the time and to be fair, did not expect it to be £7500 of rattle!
As things stand, we cannot afford the repair cost and selling it would be futile with the repair cost a buyer would face.
I am not sure what advice or suggestions I am really looking for but any would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Steve
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

As Daewar says, much depends on when you reported the fault. If it was logged on Nissan's system before warranty ran out, then it's not relevant that it was looked at afterwards - it was inspected for the reported faults. Wouldn't they have provided a courtesy car for you to use for work?
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic