1.6 Dci Auto questions

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
robrymond

Post by robrymond »

We are potentially looking at getting a Qashqai 1.6 Dci Auto. Currently have a DS3 1.6 Diesel 90bhp. Few queries:

1. What MPG does the auto do in real world? DS3 does 55-60mpg and I am looking for it to be similar or slightly less due to auto. I do 500 miles of motorway driving a week.

2. Does it feel much quicker than the 1.5 as i test drove that in manual in the past and thought it was sluggish?

3. Would a German Shepherd fit in the boot? Worried about the low angle of the sloping back.

4. Is the auto decent to drive? We relunctantly need auto due to my wifes knee problem meaning clutch control can be a problem.

Thanks!

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

1. I get between 46 and 52mpg average but that's a lot of short journeys and town trips. I expect more motorway use would yield better economy. I did get an indicated 65mpg once.

2. I haven't driven the 1.5 but I have no complaints about the 1.6 for realistic use. Turn "Eco" mode off for better acceleration.

3. It depends how tall he is, whether he complains about having to be in the boot, and whether he has his dog with him.

4. I also need an automatic due to disability and think it drives fine. You can put it into a pseudo sport mode and manually shift up and down a virtual seven speed gearbox if you want. I've driven far worse auto gearboxes than this one (yes, I'm looking at you, Toyota).
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Hi

I too have a 1.6 dci 130 Xtronic Tekna. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and am loving it. Sorry I can't answer your question re mpg as haven't really checked it out, but it seems more economical than the 2.0 litre Astra auto I traded in. Also no German Shepherd in our family. I was a little worried about performance as my Astra was excellent on 0-60mph, but have to say the 1.6 engine seems to perform pretty well, and I am very happy with its acceleration. I have an automatic because I'm basically a lazy git and just love press and go, can't be doing with having to use a clutch and moving gear levers! I am sure you would love the QQ, I certainly have no regrets, after lots of thinking before going from a 2.0 litre engine to a 1.6 litre.

Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

daddydoug wrote:Hi

I have an automatic because I'm basically a lazy git and just love press and go, can't be doing with having to use a clutch and moving gear levers!

Doug
nothing lazy about it , just simple obvious no brainer.

there is little or no difference in mpg with modern automatics , having clutch lockup.

i am also finding 115bhp power to be adequate towing a small 850kgs caravan .
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Something very important about the auto, it makes a far inferior towing machine. For some reason the QQ towing performance is much lower with an auto box and engine size is even more of an issue. Here are just a couple of examples:

QASHQAI HATCHBACK 1.2 DiG-T Tekna [Non-Panoramic] 5dr Xtronic Tow Limit 1,000 kg
QASHQAI DIESEL HATCHBACK 1.6 dCi N-Connecta 5dr 4WD Tow Limit 1,800 kg

Maybe its a limitation of the CSV type gearbox compared to the Torque converter type.

Doug[/quote]
nothing lazy about it , just simple obvious no brainer.
there is little or no difference in mpg with modern automatics , having clutch lockup.
i am also finding 115bhp power to be adequate towing a small 850kgs caravan .[/quote]
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

[quote="Daewar"]Something very important about the auto, it makes a far inferior towing machine. For some reason the QQ towing performance is much lower with an auto box and engine size is even more of an issue. Here are just a couple of examples:

QASHQAI HATCHBACK 1.2 DiG-T Tekna [Non-Panoramic] 5dr Xtronic Tow Limit 1,000 kg
QASHQAI DIESEL HATCHBACK 1.6 dCi N-Connecta 5dr 4WD Tow Limit 1,800 kg

Maybe its a limitation of the CSV type gearbox compared to the Torque converter type.

===========================

automatics are almost all rated to pull less weight than the equivalent manual .

within this physical limitation , towing performance is in no way inferior , on the contrary some people think its far superior.

as far as i know , almost all automatics including cvt/xtronics etc have torque convertors.

Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

After 2 years and 40,000 miles of motorways, London traffic and local journeys, not driven like it was stolen, I can report an overall average of 42mpg. On longer motorway cruises it has been known to show up to 55mpg but in reality that is probably only 50mpg. Drive like a complete nun and you might see an overall average around 50mpg.

Take the boot level divider out and a small pony would be happy in there.

Expect the CVT to have a bit of initial lag and don't try to pull out into traffic like you would with a manual.

Remember it has only got 130bhp. It does pretty well considering that but it is not a great car for overtaking on single-lane roads unless you have plenty of space ahead.
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

"automatics are almost all rated to pull less weight than the equivalent manual .
within this physical limitation , towing performance is in no way inferior , on the contrary some people think its far superior.
as far as i know , almost all automatics including cvt/xtronics etc have torque convertors."

I've done a bit of googling, it appears there are at least 3 clutch type systems for CVT. Torque Converter (QQ), Centrifugal Clutch ( Rev and go mopeds) and hydraulic clutch plate (DSG), so the CVT design is quite widespread in its application.

What I have read on American Forums, is the Nissan DSG can become very broken after very low milage, roughly 30k miles, though it does vary. Its very very expensive to repair and usually requires a new gearbox. Nissan in America gives a 10 year guarantee because of this, but from what i read UK don't get anything like that.

I guess the choice of gearbox, is mostly going to be horses for courses. Some people will find CVT meets their requirements as its smooth and great in stop / start, disabled person applications and others will need the superior towing capability, fuel economy, control that a manual gearbox gives.
robrymond

Post by robrymond »

Thanks for the responses. I'm a little worried by the lag mentioned when pulling off though I know automatics do suffer from this regardless but is it that noticeable?

We've found some 14 plates are around £18K with 20K miles on the clock for the Tekna model (the one we want). Just a toss up going to view a Seat Ateca or going for something completely different. We always loved the Mazda CX-5 but price/technology is a downside.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

[quote="robrymond"]

Thanks for the responses. I'm a little worried by the lag mentioned when pulling off though I know automatics do suffer from this regardless but is it that noticeable?

-----------------------------

i test drove the qq diesel cvt and personally found the lag unaccepable , frequent and significant hesitations.

i find lag with the petrol cvt almost non existent , foot down produces urge.

as manual diesels dont exhibit lag , a logical conclusion is that for some reason diesel and cvt dont fit together in the qq.

ie its not a diesel issue and not a cvt issue.

i find the petrol cvt a liitle idiosyncratic compared with my old primera 2l petrol cvt , but generally good.