Petrol consumption on qashqai

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Early first services are not necessary or recommended on most modern engines. In fact it can be detrimental to the full running-in of the engine and to its performance and fuel economy.

In the UK, the first service and all subsequent services are suggested to be at a maximum of 18,000 miles for the diesels. Since I do not do 18,000 miles annually, but between 12,000 and 15,000, I find it convenient to service annually rather than by milage.

Hard driven or cars that tow, run in very dusty conditions or are subject to constant stop/start cycles should be serviced at a lesser milage than 18,000 miles. Very low usage would suggest a service annually or at the very most every two years, even if it has covered a total of less than 10,000 miles since the last service.

During warranty period, make sure you RTFM and service at the correct intervals. If it says 18,000 miles [12,000 for petrol I think] OR every 12 months, whichever comes first, do it, or shorter.

A car is a lump of metal and plastic. Excessive and/or recreational servicing only makes the owner feel good. It is unlikely to extend the life of the vehicle at all. It should run reasonably reliably for a minimum of 150,000 miles or 15 years. More miles if driven daily for long distances. In the unlikely event that a Qashqai was used as a taxi or for 40,000 miles per year or more, 250,000 miles would not be out of the question. I know of one rep that did 100,000 miles a year for years and he always sold his car in as-new condition with 250,000 on the clock. Oil was changed every 20 to 25,000 miles despite recommended intervals of 15,000. It was serviced four or five times a year after all!

richard_crl032

Post by richard_crl032 »

I differs a little and certainly will change CVT oil every 30-40k km of my 1.2l dig-T instead of the recommended 90-100k km.

There is no question to me that it will extend life of some expensive CVT repair, change and even noisy one until it fails.

I also indeed feel better with at least prescribed service interval if not more often especially how timing chain cover on the side to my engine was found to have leaked as with another 2 more owners who I know :(

Cheers,

Richard

Cheers,

Richard