MPG again and a genera rant!

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc »

2016 1.6 diesel teckna auto = 9k 36 - 47mpg compared to company diesel astra 80k 65mpg but assume my use of kick down on the cvt box doesn't help - previous comapny car toyota auris hybrid never with cvt box gave more than 50
2016 1.6 xtronic tekna diesel 130 bhp
1998 4.6 v8 Range Rover petrol auto 225 bhp
2019 Skoda Citigo 1.0 sel green tech 5 dr 75 bhp
2009 Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol sport 2 door 138bhp

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

I just did a trip I have done a few times in different cars - Denmark to Wales. One way is approx 1000 miles and 95% motorway.

Last time I did it in a BMW 735i (3.6Litre) and got 32mpg, this time in the 1.2Litre QQ i got 36mpg.

I was taking it easier in the QQ this time around 70-75mph on cruise control, ECO mode and A/C was off about 50% of the journey, I drove at night so I don't get caught with lots of traffic around Hamburg or Brussels.

The part that gets me most is not the shocking mpg but the fact that the figures given in brochures etc. are so misleading.

2016 1.2 DIG-T Tekna Magnetic Red
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Stick to around 60mph and your mpg will almost double. Also use your speed limiter, not cruise control, and that will give you more precious mpg.
yaesu

Post by yaesu »

1.2 just isn't big enough for a car as large as a QQ, there's just no substitute for cube! Yaesu.
March 2015 Ntec+ 1.6 dci manual black
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

gvmdaddy wrote:Stick to around 60mph and your mpg will almost double. Also use your speed limiter, not cruise control, and that will give you more precious mpg.
Lol, like I want to drive 1000 miles at 60 on the motorway. 60 instead of 70 would take an extra 2 1/2 hours on an already long trip :evil:

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Fuel Consumption Test

The current test for conventional internal combustion engine vehicles has two parts.  These are an urban and an extra-urban cycle. The test cycle is the same as that used to determine the official exhaust air quality pollutant emission classification for the model of vehicle in question. The cars tested have to be ‘run-in’ so they must have been driven for at least 1,800 miles (3,000 kilometres) before testing.

Urban cycle

The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20°C to 30°C on a rolling road from a cold start where the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. The maximum speed is 31 mph (50 km/h).  The average speed 12 mph (19 km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4 km). The cycle is shown as Part One in the diagram below.

Extra-urban cycle

The extra-urban cycle is a cycle that is intended to represent the use of the vehicle on roads that are external to the urban environment.  The cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving with the remainder being accelerations, decelerations, and some idling.  The maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h).  The average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km). The cycle is shown as Part Two in the diagram below.

Combined Fuel Consumption Figure

The combined figure presented is for the urban and the extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two parts of the test, weighted by the distances covered in each part.

The figures are not misleading.....more misunderstood. The tests are also carried out in perfect ambient and completely flat conditions.
To be fair, in the car youve got, the distance travelled, the temperature and your driving style, then the figures youve returned are what you should expect.
Coupe racing

Post by Coupe racing »

yaesu wrote:1.2 just isn't big enough for a car as large as a QQ, there's just no substitute for cube! Yaesu.
It's not the size of the car it's the weight that is a major factor in determining mpg along with aero and gearing
These cars weight about the same as a Focus.
Drive carefully and you get pretty good mpg but press on and of course the figure tumbles .
Oct 2016 - Qashqai 1.5DCi N - Connecta - Pearl Black Metallic
Aug 2016 - Qashqai 1.2 DID-T Acenta with Premium Pack - Gun Metallic Grey
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

I never expected to get the claimed figure but somewhere handy would be nice!

Claimed figure of 17.9 km/l (50.5mpg)
Expected around 15 km/l (42mpg)
Real world 12-13 km/l (34-37mpg)

The best my wife and I have got was 15.9 km/l over 8 km at 80km/h from town to our drive, and that was the only time we have had over 15 km/l