MPG again and a genera rant!

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
QQ1234

Post by QQ1234 »

1.6 dig-t
Excellent performance. But my mpg is always hovering around 31-34 mpg. Nissan state something like 47mpg mixed driving. Simply not possible.
QQ 2015 1.6 Dig-T Gun Metal
Mods so far: LED interior lights, Side steps, Spare wheel, PIAA twin horns, Boot entry protector, Vinyl sill protection.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

QQ1234 wrote:1.6 dig-t
Excellent performance. But my mpg is always hovering around 31-34 mpg. Nissan state something like 47mpg mixed driving. Simply not possible.
And therein lies the possible indicator!
'Excellent performance'.
I would suggest it's the way you are driving it that is causing a good part of the shortfall in actual mpg.
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

My Fuelly readings are currently showing 40.6mpg on my 1.2T Manual, it was as high as 42.9 MPG during the summer months when I had longer runs every week. For the last 3 months it as all been local town driving which has brought my average down. I never expected the 50.4 MPG claims made by the manufacturers, they all exaggerate these figures,

I looked up my former Yeti 1.2T DSG Auto's records and this averaged 36.8MPG over the year, so I would think the auto box does drive the consumption down a little.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
QQ1234

Post by QQ1234 »

Definitely not....ive been driving it nice and easy trying to get the mpg up but simply cant. All my driving is small runs on local roads though, and that would be a possible indicator. Nissans quote is for "mixed driving" and that is a very loose term.
I always reset the mpg with every fill up. Its always 31-34 mpg.
gvmdaddy wrote:
QQ1234 wrote:1.6 dig-t
And therein lies the possible indicator!
'Excellent performance'.
I would suggest it's the way you are driving it that is causing a good part of the shortfall in actual mpg.
QQ 2015 1.6 Dig-T Gun Metal
Mods so far: LED interior lights, Side steps, Spare wheel, PIAA twin horns, Boot entry protector, Vinyl sill protection.
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Depends a lot also on if lots of short trips say 2 or 3 miles with cold engine like just to work and back, etc.
Older j10 engine model of 1600 petrol engine would only do 29 mpg short trips, 40 to 44 doing motorway speeds and 50 plus if doing dual carriage or single country roads, do you do lots of short journeys?
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

[quote="QQ1234"]1.6 dig-t
Excellent performance. But my mpg is always hovering around 31-34 mpg.

=================

how is this mpg figure arrived at ?

is it the one given on the screen at the end of each trip?

if so do we know how that figure is arrived at , and how accurate it is ??

does it measure the precise quantity of fuel used ?

i dont think i will get a reasonably accurate figure before at least 1000 miles , keeping count of litres used ..
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just to add my two penneth ! When we got our 2014 QQ 1,2L Turbo the mpg's I was getting for local trips was around 25mpg which ain't that high, but now after nearly two years it is averaging around the 30mpg. We have recently done some longer trips and have just got back from a 375 mile trip on German Autobahn's (not open speed limit), these were mostly limited to 120km/hr (75mph) & local roads & towns down to 50km/hr (30mph) and we achieved 40mpg so things are looking up, but still not great even using Cruise Control a lot.
I do keep mileage checks out of interest and as long as I keep getting my Pension from the UK to pay for my petrol I am happy - Dave :D
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
S_J_P

Post by S_J_P »

Fuel economy (or lack thereof) is always a thorny issue with any car and you only have to look at the huge spread of Fuelly consumptions for any particular car to see that it's almost completely down to driving style.

We've only had our 1.2T for a month now, but it's already noticeable that whilst I've had trip consumptions of 48-50 mpg my wife rarely exceeds 30mpg. It's not that she's driving that much faster, it's just that I'm more sympathetic with the go-faster pedal and endeavour to maintain a steady pace.

The Qashqai's a big and heavy car and any journey which involves frequent accelerating and braking is going to see the consumption suffer, it's a matter of physics!
Gun-Metal DiG-T 140 Tekna Arrived 19-03-19
Gun-Metal 1.2 DiG-T N-Connecta [Comfort & Heat Packs] Arrived 27-05-16
samovar

Post by samovar »

I have had my pre-owned QQ 1.2 DIG-T manual for nearly 3 months now and being a bit of an anorak, I look at the MPG after each journey. I rarely get under 40MPG even for the most towny sort of journey, but two days ago I got 61MPG for a 24 mile journey I do regularly. I try to change gear as the on-board computer instructs (though sometimes it does not look ahead..) and for this journey I put on cruise control at 54mph to follow some big lorries on the AI and help my nervous dog. I now see why my old Meriva quoted 38MPG and this was nearly 100% accurate thoughout its 11 year life, but the new type of engines/computer controlled, are really down to driving style. I am very pleased. I wanted a biggish car that did 60MPG petrol but apart from hybrids the QQ was the best choice (comfort and ride came into my test drives of 5 different types of cars too). The QQ is quote at 50MPG in the auto magazines but in fact the QQ 1.2 can do more that that easily, if driven in a relaxed "King of the Road" style....
1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium 2014 Ink Blue
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

So apparently these Engines settle into their stride around 20,000 miles, so you will get better readings from their (thats what I heard).

I mainly drive to work an back which around 9 miles each way consisting of a bit of motorway and small roads. I get around 47-52MPG in the 1.6 Dci automagic.

Of course, if I drive it like I stole it, I get far less.
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector