MPG again and a genera rant!

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
bluechilli

Post by bluechilli »

I have the 1.2 Auto.

A while ago I posted asking for peoples MPG readings. My QQ has now done 7400 miles and has seen the inside of the local workshop quite a bit, it was recently in for 2 weeks having the timing chain repalced.
At the moment my MPG is reading 29.8MPG after resetting after the garage visit.
Before this it was reading 32.6. This is far too low, at Christmas I did a 1400 mile trip through France on there lovely motorways and got 39.9 WOW!
I spoke to the dealer and the sales guys said that this was way too low.
I spoke to Nissan, "Im sorry sir but we have no control over your driving style, road and weather conditions or weight that you carry." Honestly I have driven like a Nun trying to get more out of my fuel tank.

So Nissan wont help, the dealer wont help, the lease company say its a problem for Nissan and not them. I really wish I had got a 1.5 Manual :(

Martin

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Two weeks to replace a timing chain! I would want to know why.
I can't comment like for like as I have the 1.5dci, but my current figures are 49mpg on average, 40 to 45mpg on short runs, 50 to 55mpg on runs over 10 miles, and 60 to 65mpg on 30+ mile motorway runs. Best to date was 70mpg usind cruise control on motorway.i have noticed that driving fully loaded increases fuel consumption between 10 and 15%.
What was the problem with your timing chain after such low mileage?
Billgo
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Billgo »

I also have a 1.5dci, just on 2 years old, with 16,000 kms on clock this being equivalent to 9,942 miles.
The average fuel usage from new is showing as 5 L/100km, this is equal to 56.5 mpg.
Cold weather, and/or speeds over 55 mph can increase fuel usage a lot, not to mention heavy acceleration.
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
2019 QQ 1.3 Petrol. Manual
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

bluechilli wrote:I have the 1.2 Auto.

A while ago I posted asking for peoples MPG readings. My QQ has now done 7400 miles and has seen the inside of the local workshop quite a bit, it was recently in for 2 weeks having the timing chain repalced.
At the moment my MPG is reading 29.8MPG after resetting after the garage visit.
Before this it was reading 32.6. This is far too low, at Christmas I did a 1400 mile trip through France on there lovely motorways and got 39.9 WOW!
I spoke to the dealer and the sales guys said that this was way too low.
I spoke to Nissan, "Im sorry sir but we have no control over your driving style, road and weather conditions or weight that you carry." Honestly I have driven like a Nun trying to get more out of my fuel tank.

So Nissan wont help, the dealer wont help, the lease company say its a problem for Nissan and not them. I really wish I had got a 1.5 Manual :(

Martin
Sorry to hear abt ur issues. Timing belt change at such low mileage is strange. Looks like a defective part. I shd be changed under warranty I hope. How abt your engine oil consumption? Is it as per the recommended levels?

Ideally with such a complaint, Nissan/dealer shd agree to do a mileage test, where you pay for fuel and they do their tests after checking all fluid levels etc. If they get the same figures around what you get, then the car needs to be further investigated. I don't kow abt Europe but elsewhere i have read of such tests for MPG issues.

I am no expert on automatics & honestly hate the fact that i can't control the car behaviour. But I've had a 2006 Elantra automatic for a year before my QQ and was getting better mileage that what u've reported. Some techniques I used were -
1) never push a cold engine, drive as sedately possible until the engine has reached optimum temperature
2) With an automatic, you just tend to floor the pedal to get ahead. Instead modulate the throttle as u would do in a manual. At times, lift of the pedal if u feel the engine revving, in most cases it will upshift. Play with the pedal - there are certain spots where u can maintain the speed with reduced inputs.
3) Coasting - Normally u would coast going down hill. I would do the opposite (well almost). Coast for the beginning 50-60% of the downward slope. Accelerate gently and steadily after, this would build enough momentum to go uphill reducing the load on the engine.
4) Finally, once a week , let the car spread her legs - drive hard, have fun, redline in bursts of 30 seconds. I do this even with 1.5 dCI(Sheer joy) . But definitely after the run-in period.

Does the 1.2 come with triptonic? You could try manual shifts & see if it makes a difference.
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Thats really bad, I have an 11 year old Automatic (different car) but even that does 38.2 MPG. If my QQ does the same or only slightly higher I won't be impressed.
2016 - 1.2 Xtronic - N-tec + - Blade Silver
xgsjx

Post by xgsjx »

If it's any consolation towards you having chose the auto, I've got the 1.2 manual box & the mpg is just as crap.
Major disappointment is an understatement.

To anyone considering getting the 1.2 petrol... Don't do it. Can't even pull itself outta bed.
yaesu

Post by yaesu »

Hi all, 1.2 petrol whether turbo or not will almost certainly struggle with a vehicle as big as the QQ, auto will make matters worse. Why does anyone who doesn't have to buy an auto? 1.5dci? Much the same will apply. We've had our 1.6dci for a year and it's averaged 46mpg over 9k miles at least a third of which has been towing our caravan. It regularly returns 59+ on a 50 mile often used route. Strange as it might seem it's 59 during the day but 56ish on the return at night. Ambient temperatures make quite a difference, around 10 to 15%. As threesixty says don't gun it cold.
Enjoy your QQ we do!
Yaesu
March 2015 Ntec+ 1.6 dci manual black
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Nothing strange about the 59 miles one way and 56 miles the other way. You'll find that you are doing longer climbs, even if they are only shallow gradient on the run back, that's all.
bluechilli

Post by bluechilli »

xgsjx wrote:If it's any consolation towards you having chose the auto, I've got the 1.2 manual box & the mpg is just as crap.
Major disappointment is an understatement.

To anyone considering getting the 1.2 petrol... Don't do it. Can't even pull itself outta bed.
What sort of MPG does your dash read?
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Just to add some info for comparison my 1.2 man has achieved 37mpg over a year using brim to brim calculations although I've found the on board computer isn't that far out. That's prob 60/40 city/urban mix.