steering squeak when its cold

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

langy, our QQ was done as the above sketch just over a year ago and we have heard no more Squeaking - Good Luck Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

Paul L

Post by Paul L »

I've only had my J11 for three weeks, and noticed the steering noise.
Got booked into Bristol Street Motors Nissan dealer in Derby.
Took it in today to have it looked at.
They said they lubricated the bottom part of the steering column, and it would fix the noise.
I got in the car and turned the steering from lock to lock and the noise had gone.
When I got home I noticed the noise was back!
Took it back to the garage and had the head technician listen to the noise.
He confirmed it's the suspension bush that is dry, and is going to book it in to have the bushes replaced.

While I was there the bracket recall work was done also.
2015 Acenta 1.5 DCI. Smart Vision Pack. Nightshade
Bonnet struts
Must get those mud flaps fitted !
simmo400

Post by simmo400 »

Steering does squeak from time to time. After a few minutes it disappears I find. Another annoying gitch with the QQ. 64 plate tekna.
Simmo

Post by alter »

Hi Simmo.
Just like Dave commented above, get the suspension parts replaced under guarantee. After complaining about the noise was still present right after a "regrease" of the lower part of the steering, dealer who is very helpful and never argues when I mention a problem, just double checked and confirmed the technical bulletin with the recall. Got mine changed 1 month ago and it never came back. Not even after 2 weeks under -7 to -9deg with the car parked outside and using it only a couple of times for short trips.
Qashqai Tekna 1.6 4x4 gunmetal
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

So we now appear to have squeaky suspension and creaky steering.
Question is, do those of us with a QQ which haven't yet made a squeak or a creak get the parts replaced before the warranties run out or not? Especially now it's a known problem, along with all the other well known problems.
I haven't heard a peep from Nissan since owning the car over 2yrs about any service bulletins/recalls etc.
Seems like they have left me to decide for myself what's required and when.
If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have a clue what's going on.
I will give the dealer a call this week to see what the protocol is for the ever growing list of issues.
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.
simmo400

Post by simmo400 »

Thanks for all advice but the truth is if I took the car back for every squeak....rattle...the car would be at the dealer 95 % of the time. door cards squeak.....seats squeak......etc. Im going to wait until near the end of my warranty make a list and smash it into them to fix. Roof rails that ive had changed are still looking cracked again. The car has been decent over 2 years but all these niggles are down to poor build quality and cost cutting.
Simmo
marlon32

Post by marlon32 »

Hi all, I feel I have to comment on this.

We had the same issue with our J11 QQ.

Maybe it was slightly different noise though....ours sounded like the power steering was dying!

Anyway...we booked car in for its 2nd annual service for end of March and thought we can live with this noise until then.

Then, at the weekend the car wouldn't start. It same up with 'System Fault' on the dash.

Called the RAC out. Turns out it was a flat battery that was the problem. They replaced it under warranty.....happy days.

Anyway, I mentioned the steering noise to the RAC guy and he said that the noise was probably due to the flat battery!

Sure enough when i checked the steering after the battery had been replaced...all was working fine.

He said that the power steering is electrically controlled...or some parts of it are at least.

This was just my experience and thought id share.
Deleted User 2899

Post by Deleted User 2899 »

marlon32 wrote:Hi all, I feel I have to comment on this.

We had the same issue with our J11 QQ.

Maybe it was slightly different noise though....ours sounded like the power steering was dying!

Anyway...we booked car in for its 2nd annual service for end of March and thought we can live with this noise until then.

Then, at the weekend the car wouldn't start. It same up with 'System Fault' on the dash.

Called the RAC out. Turns out it was a flat battery that was the problem. They replaced it under warranty.....happy days.

Anyway, I mentioned the steering noise to the RAC guy and he said that the noise was probably due to the flat battery!

Sure enough when i checked the steering after the battery had been replaced...all was working fine.

He said that the power steering is electrically controlled...or some parts of it are at least.

This was just my experience and thought id share.
You just never know whats linked to what in these modern cars. I would never have guessed that though !

Thanks for the info.
Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

What whats wrong with The car? I Think i have same problem?
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

I have this issue on my 2nd recent QQ. Just back from dealer and they said its just the motor noise for power steering, and not much can be done except re-grease bearings.
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine