steering squeak when its cold

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I dont understand why it could be the 'suspension top mount bush'. Where is the lateral movement on that whilst turning?

Deleted User 2899

Post by Deleted User 2899 »

After 2 visits to the dealers to get various problems sorted mine has now started to squeak on turning. Obviously the cold weather must have bought it on.

Is there a confirmed fix for this ?
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

warm weather? :D
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
Deleted User 2899

Post by Deleted User 2899 »

Beardyman wrote:warm weather? :D
Sweet. Will get some ordered for delivery straight way. :D
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

Sorry - it's on back order. It might be about 3 months before you get a delivery... and even then it might be in short supply. More stock available in June apparently.

Seriously, apart from an irritating noise (and any associated "rubbing" wear), is this a real problem (as in; will this cause long term damage)?
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

There are two known issues. The most common is the front suspension upper strut mount - I know it seems unlikely that this is caused by turning the steering but it is correct and verified by my dealer. Only happens in cold weather and no fix from Nissan for this as yet. The dealer has lubricated the strut mounts and so far so good but they did say this is a temporary fix and will not last.
The second is the gaiter and UV joint at the bottom of the steering column. Not so many reports on this one as far as I know but this is a case of lubricating and if necessary, realignment.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
Lumpymonkfish

Post by Lumpymonkfish »

Good afternoon,

I have had my car since 30th December 2015. It is a 2014 1.2 Dig-T Acenta Premium. I noticed on driving it home from the dealer this "squeak" which I described to the dealer as a rubber grinding noise and they advised me it could just be the gas in the power steering. Unfortunately after getting the car I fell down the stairs and broke 2 toes which then left me unable it drive :evil: I have now been back in the car and have a few little snagging items, this being one of them. Is there anything technical I can tell the dealer about this to stop them fobbing me off?1
LucaModric

Post by LucaModric »

And I am joining the club of "steering squeak when its cold". Acenta 1.2 dig, 2014.
Jon Qash 592

Post by Jon Qash 592 »

Found this posted by Charles today on this forum, maybe it will help:

'I purchased my QQ April 2014 and first noticed the creaking steering noise after about 13 months. The dealer re lubricated and cleaned the shock dust covers and the noise went away. It was suggested that it could be a problem when the car was cold?. This re-appered 7 months later (Dec 2014) and again the dealer lubricated and cleaned the dust covers. This time I did not get out of the car park as the noise was now continuous. I immediately reported this and arranged for the problem to be fully checked and new covers fitted in 2 weeks time. When they were carrying out this work, a visiting Nissan engineer became aware of this and told them not to bother investigating as the problem was a design fault. Dust was entering under the shock covers resulting in the croaking noise. The new design covers were fitted on 15th Jan 2016, my car I am told is the first in the UK to have this done so hopefully it is sorted'.
Tekna 1.6 Dig-T Magnetic Red. Chrome and Utility packs.
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

I am having this problem at the moment, and the dealers been useless, you don't happen to know the part number of the new parts?