steering squeak when its cold

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
firestarteruk

Post by firestarteruk »

My QashQui has a steering squeak when its cold. When turning the wheel you can hear this sort of rubber seal noise which goes once the car warms up. Is this normal...

Thanks in advance guys.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

Mine has just started creaking when cold. Didn't do it last winter. 30,000 miles behind me now.
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
rongil

Post by rongil »

I've had this. Steering Column was lubricated, came back again in a couple of weeks - lubricated again then again twice and has been OK for about12 9 months but signs recurrence now .
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Completely normal. Some days you hear it, some you dont. Some people say its the steering linkages at the base of the steering column whilst others say it might be the way the 'clock spring'is routed and tensioned. To me the second explanation seems the most plausible. In 18 months of driving I only had the problem for a week or so and that was this time last year.
jet

Post by jet »

firestarteruk wrote:My QashQui has a steering squeak when its cold. When turning the wheel you can hear this sort of rubber seal noise which goes once the car warms up. Is this normal...

Thanks in advance guys.
Hello Firestarter,

As long as it is a common 'feature' on J11, we can call it 'normal ;) Most people live with it, others find it particularly annoying.

According to Nissan, this could either be a faulty strut bearing, or (more probably) the Spring Upper Rubber Seat. There is a new design Spring Upper Rubber Seat with steel ring (54034-4ЕА1А) which must be used as a replacement. Your dealer should be aware ;-)
1.5 dCi MT Premium
UKDOGMAN

Post by UKDOGMAN »

Yes I get that as well 8k on 1 year old Tekna. I Am adding it to the long list of duffs things on my motor!
Rustical

Post by Rustical »

Yes we had this problem on Saturday, just started sounds like a squeaky rubber sound coming from bottom of steering column. We rang dealer this morning and they gave us the Nissan assist number. RAC man arrived within 30 mins. Did it for him too, after turning the wheel on full lock both ways several times it stopped. Did this myself and it did not go away over the weekend. 'sod's Law' I suppose,, anyway dealer is going to have it in Wednesday.
I've read a few strings on this and seem quite common, not sure it's going to get "the white grease treatment" tho, I think they are aware of an issue.

I really like this car but there seems to be an awful lot of common faults around.

1.6 dci Acenta Premium, Pearlescent Black, chrome pack, Diamond wheels upgrade.
Timmothehut

Post by Timmothehut »

Same here, been getting it quite a bit, it's only a problem going round corners so I make sure I keep on straight roads now :-)
It's going in to get fixed next week, along with reprogram of radio system which keeps crashing if I try to select anything other than Planet Rock.
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

I have this problem, also had it last year when the temperature dropped. For me it is the suspension top mount bearing/bush. Went to the dealers last week and they told me they would replace it under warranty. So going in next week for it to be replaced! Hopefully this will solve this!