Stop/Start System Failure.

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Thanks will give them a call and keep you posted :)

psmith83

Post by psmith83 »

Moribund wrote: My problem is that I keep getting the system error whilst driving and once this occurs (with the Auto flashing) it sometimes clears after 5 minutes but sometimes remains until I restart the car.
I get the exact same when I am driving because my foot is slightly on the clutch. If the error appears I move my foot completely away and it switches back on again.
bone_tone

Post by bone_tone »

Stop/start system error message means you have a computer fault, or some other electrical fault - it doesn't necessarily mean that there is a fault with the stop/start system. Dealer checking the computer should be able to identify the problem.

In my case it was a throttle actuator fault - took 10 minutes for the dealer to identify the problem, a week for them to get the parts, and ended up in a £6500 warranty claim to Nissan!
jamiroQQ

Post by jamiroQQ »

Having had this QQ for over two years now I doubt that I need a Stop/Start system failure light to tell me it is no good on this car.
Right from the get-go I advised the dealership that in my opinion the battery was too small for the job in hand. They said to read the many pages and reasons why the stop/start did not work. On a cold day with none of the culprits switched on and having only travelled less than 100 yards the car engine stops at the lights, alternatively I can run around for well over 100miles and it never stops once.
Now the dreaded light has appeared and stays on day after day. I am fold be the garage that if they charge the battery for a few hours it may go out, but I would expect that it would come on again after the charge level dropped again.
Obviously Nissan don't want to recall hundreds if not thousands of QQ to fit new batteries. They maybe hope that it becomes an acceptable fault. like parking sensors. Offside overtake light. Loose brake pads in rear calipers that clonk. in reverse when you apply the brakes,
Come on Nissan sort these faults out for good, Basically its a good car but you are not the only mid size SUV manufacturer and my will to suffer these problems much longer is running thin.

2014 1.6 Tekna CVT
A Stocks
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Been doing some long trips down South this last week or two and have been trying diligently not to rest my foot on the clutch. This is OK on the motorway but driving on the M25 in traffic it is much harder when constantly changing from 1st to 2nd. Thought I was doing OK until travelling on the M40 at high speed I put the clutch in to change down from 6th whilst braking as the cars in front slowed down. Then the error came up. Went away after 10 minutes and I repeated the manoeuvre and the error came back. Very strange but I'm convinced now that it's not my driving causing this - something is wrong. Decided to give it another week and will contact Nissan customer service.
daedal_eidolon

Post by daedal_eidolon »

Had this same fault develop on my Qashqai yesterday and again this morning, but after some driving the Start/Stop system was working fine. Called up a Glyn Hopkins branch and was told it would need an overnight battery recharge at £140, and this isn't covered under the Cared4 warranty (I purchased it in July). I do motorway mileage (80 miles every weekend) surely this would be enough charge the battery?
1.6 dci Premier Limited Edition Pearl Black (2014), Autoglym Lifeshine
Bob d

Post by Bob d »

Your 80 miles daily is more than enough to charge the battery, the alternator in a modern vehicle should be able to charge the battery with just the engine idling anyway. I travel under 20 miles each day and it's never been a problem (I may regret saying that now!). If your fault has appeared during the sudden onset of cold weather then it could indeed be a sign that the battery is struggling, but charging it overnight isn't a proper fix, and certainly not for 140 quid..... must say I've heard of daylight robbery but being robbed overnight, well, I guess it's more conventional. Let me think, for that much money you could buy a battery charger for each day of the week, or, well, for just another tenner....how about a new battery from Halfords!!! Maybe take your car for a battery health check somewhere.
J11 QQ N-Tec+ 1.5 DCi Magnetic Red
daedal_eidolon

Post by daedal_eidolon »

@bob d - My thoughts exactly, an overnight charge is not a permanent fix. Had forgotten Halfords did free battery healthchecks, thanks for the recommendation!

If my Qashqai did indeed need a replacement battery, has anyone had experience getting this replaced under warranty?
1.6 dci Premier Limited Edition Pearl Black (2014), Autoglym Lifeshine
Bob d

Post by Bob d »

Is it a FIAMM brand battery? If you search FIAMM battery on this forum you'll find a lot of experience, including some who've had warranty replacements.
J11 QQ N-Tec+ 1.5 DCi Magnetic Red
almayb

Post by almayb »

Fiamm battery is well known for the faulty batch from factory. I ended up charging every Sunday (my day off), I got on to Nissan customer services who were very helpful and told Shrewsbury dealer to change under warranty . Been great since but start/stop does not work in cold weather unless air con is off, but at least I do not get the system failure sign flashing or light on the switch any more.
64 plate 1.5 tekna - Bronze.