CVT version picked up

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

I've had a stop start car before. It's needs to charge something so the motor starts quickly. So, until that's charged it won't stop. If you stop start a lot at that charge is depleted it won't start stop again until it's recharged.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Driving a 1.5DCi Tekna in Blade Silver since 14/02/2014

Marianda24

Post by Marianda24 »

I quite liked the mats to be honest and I thought the foot print pattern on the driver's mat was particularly fetching. Its just a shame they've worn rather quickly .

Pleased you're enjoying your new car James and Im sure your stop/start will soon sort itself out. I dont think I will have that on my car with it being a CVT. I bet one of you fine experts will correct me if Im wrong.
fizzystutter

Post by fizzystutter »

Hi,I didn't know about the charge function... that may explain the odd stop/start which I'm experiencing.Miranda, my QQ is the CVT (Auto). At first I thought the stop/start could possibly be actioned by the amount of pressure I place on the brake pedal, but it doesn't make any difference, it's still pretty random. I'm still liking the car though. The cameras are taking a bit of time to trust, but when I have put my faith in them everything has been fine ;-).... obviously.
fizzystutter2014-03-08 16:36:49
Marianda24

Post by Marianda24 »

Duh! Of course your car is the CVT (the clue is in the title and the photos!).

Wow. I wasnt expecting to have stop/start with an auto as my current car (Astra Elite) doesnt have it although the manual equivalent does. Ive not taken any real notice of this as I didnt expect to have it so can you explain what it does please (if it works properly!)

Thank you James
Marianda242014-03-08 23:20:37
shelly66

Post by shelly66 »

[quote="fizzystutter"]Hi,Yes the matts.... They came free would you believe it!!! I have some others on order as the ones I have seem to have worn pretty quick ;-)I ordered it around 10:30am on the Saturday of the launch weekend. Within 20 or so minutes the lead time had increased by around a month or so as another customer had placed an order and wasn't happy.I haven't managed to get the apps (Nissan Connect) working yet and I'm a little confused as to when the car decides to shut off the engine when I'm sat in traffic... it seems to be a little random at the moment.James[/QUOTE]
Hi James I have the CVT also and the start stop function is very dependent on what you have on in the car ie fans aircon etc, if you dont have too much going on in the car it will work fine and only when you have the break peddle firmly down (when stoped).I have done 800 miles in mine now so i am getting used to it now.have you tried the sport mode yet? was not sure what that is supposed to do, I know it is to do with the steering but what? havent read the manuel compleatly yet, so much to read.back to the stop start function when I am sitting at traffic lights the car stops and as the lights change it start up again,now im not sure if the traffic sign recogniton is doing this or if I am lifting my foot off the brake slightly, its good if it is the sign recognition, very helpfull feature.happy motoring, I have cleaned mine today so looks new again.shelly
fizzystutter

Post by fizzystutter »

Hi,I thought the traffic lights might be being scanned as well as the car started up when the green light came on once in traffic. However the car has only done this once, therefore I presume it was just coincidence.I managed to get on a very short piece of motorway today and the car did pretty well. Obviously not as powerful as my previous car, but I'm sure it'll do ok when I get back to work next week.James
Chortes

Post by Chortes »

I thought it was down to the temperature of the engine??
Really?
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

I don't think it is temperature.My last car had stop/start and there were times, even in really long journey's, where if you had to stop start a lot...say in a traffic jam on the motorway, even if just for say 5 minutes in would cease to stop.The engine would have still been very warm. So I guessed, and it is a guess, that something gets charged in order to start the engine quickly...this was sort of confirmed by the fact that the morning after a long journey the car would happily stop start within 2 minutes of driving away, having stood unused on the drive for in excess of 12 hours.
Driving a 1.5DCi Tekna in Blade Silver since 14/02/2014
TC3

Post by TC3 »

2 BMW's we had over the last few years and my old Honda scooter all had stop/ start but only the scooter stop/ start system actually worked each and every time while the cars would every now and then not work..... go figure
Tony ... 1.5 Acenta Premium in Gunmetal

Chortes

Post by Chortes »

Looking at Wikipedia, and I know that this isn't gospel but, this is what they say about stop-start "On a manual transmission vehicle, stop-start is activated as follows:
Stop car & depress clutch - move gear lever to neutral - release
clutch - then the engine stops. The engine won't stop if the car is
moving, even if the aforementioned steps are followed. The engine
restarts when the clutch is depressed prior to selecting a gear to move
the car. The engine may also restart if there is a demand for power
from, for example, the AC system.
Since automobile accessories like air conditioners and water pumps have typically been designed to run on a serpentine belt
on the engine, those systems must be redesigned to function properly
when the engine is turned off. Typically, an electric motor is used to
power these devices instead."So my interpretation also adds that if the battery isn't sufficient for the power drain, the engine will start to avoid draining too low.Not having or experienced a stop-start engine, would this sound right?
Really?