Noise from under car when braking

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
UKDOGMAN

Post by UKDOGMAN »

This problem was checked today by the local Nissan dealer who said it was a known problem with the new QQ and was movement in the pads but there was no fix for this. This was after speaking to Nissan Technical Dept. I explained it happens when you reverse and brake and then move forward and brake - loud crack noise from under car. This can't be right. I suggested changing the pads as some have said cured a similar problem but they were having none of that. I won't let this rest until the noise gets sorted. Next time you are reversing and then pulling away, wind your window down and have a listen for the clank. You must all have it if Martins Nissan are correct in what they are suggesting? :shock:

Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

I'm suffering from exact problem and my car was at the dealer today. Said they couldn't replicate the noise so I did the whole going forward and back to make the cracking sound. As above they wouldn't listen to me explaining that new pads might sort out the issue. They tried copper grease and surprise surprise it didn't fox it. I'm told they are ordering some new shims for the calipers so will post an update of that foxes the problem.
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

UKDOGMAN wrote:This problem was checked today by the local Nissan dealer who said it was a known problem with the new QQ and was movement in the pads but there was no fix for this. This was after speaking to Nissan Technical Dept. I explained it happens when you reverse and brake and then move forward and brake - loud crack noise from under car. This can't be right. I suggested changing the pads as some have said cured a similar problem but they were having none of that. I won't let this rest until the noise gets sorted. Next time you are reversing and then pulling away, wind your window down and have a listen for the clank. You must all have it if Martins Nissan are correct in what they are suggesting? :shock:
I've had this twice that i'm aware of.
Once when setting off from a gravel drive ( i assume it was a stone).
The second time many months later after setting off from a junction quite quickly into a gap in traffic (i thought something fell off the car).
If most peoples experiences are similar to mine they probably wouldn't notice generally.

I have dashcam footage of the dealer/mechanic commenting on my cars "clattery brakes" when they were trying to rectify a rattle in the dash.
I wasn't really sure if that was due to the way they were driving the car, trying to upset it on uneven/broken road to provoke the rattle or a more underlying issue.

I've told them the dashcam is there but they seem to forget about it and then deny saying stuff.
Nissan no more...
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Work done today on my brakes. No change of components just a re-grease of brake parts all round. This work was done according to a recent nissan technical bulletin, apparently the re grease will become part of the annual service too. The cracking sound has gone though....for now. Will report back if it comes back.
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Cracking sound has returned, back to the dealer...again.
bokbok

Post by bokbok »

I have the same problem on my tekna auto been like that for 6 months and was doing it at 1000 miles now has 6000 on clock, its going in to evan halshaw for its 1st service at the end of the month, which I am sure they will fob me as there the worst dealership I ever dealt with and can assure everyone wont be buying a nissan again will stick to germany cars as I always did :D
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Back from dealer and same as above dealer saying they admit there is a fault but nothing they can do and I should just live with it. Nissan UK contacted awaiting a response.
Jon Qash 592

Post by Jon Qash 592 »

Summerjunk wrote:Back from dealer and same as above dealer saying they admit there is a fault but nothing they can do and I should just live with it. Nissan UK contacted awaiting a response.
Summerjunk did you get any reply from Nissan Uk? I have the same problem and would be grateful for an update before contacting my dealer.
Tekna 1.6 Dig-T Magnetic Red. Chrome and Utility packs.
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

Experiencing exactly the same thing. Had my car in for service last week, reported the problem only to be told at the end of the day that this behavior is normal. Well on questioning this has only recently started as it was'nt there when new, it was just shrugs & nothing conclusive.

I have noticed this after my change from winter to original wheels, there was no sound when the winters were on.

Well going to report to Nissan Suisse and as usual will get the repsonse - pls contact your dealer but will do it nevertheless.

I get them every-time on braking very lightly and it started with only when reversing after a long pause.
There has also been a thread on rust setting in on rear discs, not sure if they are realated. Try the "search" option here.
UKDOGMAN wrote:This problem was checked today by the local Nissan dealer who said it was a known problem with the new QQ and was movement in the pads but there was no fix for this. This was after speaking to Nissan Technical Dept. I explained it happens when you reverse and brake and then move forward and brake - loud crack noise from under car. This can't be right. I suggested changing the pads as some have said cured a similar problem but they were having none of that. I won't let this rest until the noise gets sorted. Next time you are reversing and then pulling away, wind your window down and have a listen for the clank. You must all have it if Martins Nissan are correct in what they are suggesting? :shock:
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.
Wheelie Bealie

Post by Wheelie Bealie »

Brake pad rock is pretty common in lots of vehicles, it's jus the pads being a slightly loose fit in the calipers and nothing to worry about, they need to be a little smaller so that when you're breaking hard and everything gets hot in that area they don't bind on the caliper or expand too much and break either the caliper or more likely the pad, if the pad cracks then it'll likely be a loss of the braking material, whichever way round it is means no rear brakes :( I've never heard it on mine in 55 odd thousand miles but then I generally drive with the windows up and the air-con on, on mine and my lads trials motorbikes you hear it all the time.
2014 1.5dCi Tekna (Manual)