Are mud flaps worth the cost/any good

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Z1000

Post by Z1000 »

Hi. No doubt this question as been asked before, but after searching I haven't found a definitive answer. Can anyone shed any light on this.

Thanks.

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

For general driving on normal roads, no they are not worth having. I haven't got them on my Qashqai yet but will need them by Summer. The reason being that I live in a rural area and drive down some various farm roads, including some muddy and cow-poo covered roads when the animals are out and about. The flaps are not the best, in that they are solid plastic and short, but they do help slightly by reducing, though not eliminating mud being thrown up the side of the car.I'm counting that they are similar to the ones I had fitted to the Juke and I have on the Honda, which they appear to be.
Z1000

Post by Z1000 »

Thanks for that. It's the size of them that prompted the question in the first instance. Especially the front, as they look really small. I have also read some reviews of fitting issues.
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

I have fitted them to my QQ and I think they have made a difference, with less road grime thrown up the sides and back.
But the other reason I fitted them was to hopefully stop "road rash", all my previous cars have suffered badly from this.
Regarding cost you need to shop around for the best deal, you will be surprised at the price differences. I paid £49.95 for a full set delivered, which I didn't think was too bad.
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.
Z1000

Post by Z1000 »

Did you fit them yourself. How easy was it please.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Yes they are worth having, yes they work better than having none fitted, yes they are a little smaller than they could be, yes they are reasonably priced, yes they are good quality and yes they are easy to fit and no you do not have to remove the rear wheels as some suggest. Check out Birmingham central parts on here.....fantastic service.gvmdaddy2015-02-20 11:02:08
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just washed the Tekna everything on the Lower Side behind the Mud Flaps was as usual Clean ! - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
montimar

Post by montimar »

I had mine fitted by the dealer as part of the protection pack and find they keep the car much cleaner on wet muddy B roads.
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

After seeing the mess my dealer made of fitting the number plates, I decided to fit the mudflaps myself.
Some people have managed to fit them without removing the rear wheels. I removed the rear wheels to gain better access because there is some drilling involved (front wheels can be left on) I used my trolley jack with a jack pad to lift the car, then it is just a case of following the instructions that came with the mudflaps, obviously you will need some basic hand tools and a drill and bit set all the necessary fittings come with the kit.
If you are a practical do it yourself type of person then you shouldn't have a problem, allow a good couple of hours to do the job right, just take your time.
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Always had them as they came with the car as part of a deal "sweetner" so can't tell you how effective they are but compared to my yeti (which had no flaps) the car stays a lot cleaner.
Nissan no more...