1.2 DIG T with Shell V-nitro fuel

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

[quote="pistnbroke"]for a diesel a cup full of 2 stroke oil to each tank is a good for it...not much lube in modern diesel and it burn to nothing.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. How would this effect emissions, and how well does the oil mix with diesel? What is it exactly are you trying to achieve, in my mind trying to understand given my rudimentary knowledge of diesel engines, the only thing the fuel touches would be the fuel pump and injectors, given that the fuel is only injected at the point of ignition it goes in as a mist and self combusts so would not touch the cylinder walls/piston to have any effect and just burns off? Be interested in your thoughts as there are other additives which claim to assist with engine running (as above, RedEx is one example). Although I don't own a diesel, I would personally avoid it as Nissan could turn around and void the warranty as you are using 'non standard fuel' which could damage fuel pump/injectors which are designed for diesel only although with the quantity you are adding it probably wont make much difference and probably remain undetected. Still, in my mind not worth the risk given the cost of parts! In a side note, I don't suppose you have any relation to the tractor pulling team pistnbroke?

pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

and there you have it.."the only thing the fuel touches would be the fuel pump and injectors,perhaps you should ask yourself why commercial truck operators put ATF in the fuel as an additive.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

My thoughts as well pistonbroke! Surely the fuel 'touches' the cylinder walls before combustion? What about the fuel lines? Gumming up the fuel filter? Clagging and leaving a sticky residue to the inside of the fuel tank? Im not advocating the use of Redex or anything else for that matter, but it would be good to know how such products alter or improve the properties of normal diesel.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Ps....whats ATF?
Deleted User 759

[quote="pistnbroke"]]and there you have it.."the only thing the fuel touches would be the fuel pump and injectors,perhaps you should ask yourself why commercial truck operators put ATF in the fuel as an additive.[/QUOTE]] As I say, I have a rudimentary knowledge of diesel engines hence asking for more info regarding your actions of adding 2 stroke oil to each tank and what benefit it would bring? I am guessing then you are suggesting it could add lubrication benefits for the fuel pump? And as I understand it, an diesel engine in a truck is a different beast compared to the engine under the hood of the QQ!? [quote="gvmdaddy"]]My thoughts as well pistonbroke! Surely the fuel 'touches' the cylinder walls before combustion? What about the fuel lines? Gumming up the fuel filter? Clagging and leaving a sticky residue to the inside of the fuel tank? Im not advocating the use of Redex or anything else for that matter, but it would be good to know how such products alter or improve the properties of normal diesel.[/QUOTE]]
My understanding is as the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, it immediately self combusts/explodes as the fuel is injected whilst the piston is at TDC/some degrees BTDC, so unlike petrol the diesel fuel turns into an explosion rather than a burn ignited by a spark plug, thus does not add any lubrication benefit for the cyl wall/piston?
SplanK2014-12-19 22:00:35
Deleted User 759

[quote="gvmdaddy"]Ps....whats ATF?[/QUOTE]
Automatic Transmission Fluid I would presume
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Splank, derv/diesel does not combust immediately on entering the cylinder, it has to be under high pressure, as would be provided by the upward motion of the returning piston. No spark plug....no induced spark...hence higher pressures are needed to ignite the fuel. The diesel must be in the cylinder momentarily prior to full combustion.
Deleted User 759

Granted this is probably a basic representation of a diesel engine however: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel1.htm [quote"]]Intake stroke -- The intake valve opens up, letting in air and moving the piston down. ­Compression stroke -- The piston moves back up and compresses the air.Combustion stroke -- As the piston reaches the top, fuel is injected at just the right moment and ignited, forcing the piston back down.Exhaust stroke -- The piston moves back to the top, pushing out the exhaust created from the combustion out of the exhaust valve.[/quote"]] This contradicts your comments regarding the fuel is injected before combustion, where as my comments suggest that the fuel is injected at the moment that combustion is needed to control, which improves control of the combustion itself where as injecting it before could lead to premature combustion. I understand there were older diesels which used indirect injection but they were less efficient and used various techniques which zapped power/performance to ensure that the fuel only detonated at the right time. Edit: Please read this as an education learning experience/information gathering/straightening out mine and others understandings rather than anything else. Not always easy to interpret the tone of posts as they should be!
SplanK2014-12-19 22:32:32
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/diesel_fi.phpFuel for thought' as they say.
Not as clear cut as we would imagine. Read a few websites and they give similar but not entirely the same conclusion.
That said, it would still be good to know how people get on with addatives etc.
Did anyone actually use the old 'Broquette' in a pre none leaded petrol engine? Did it work or make any difference at all?
Only been using diesel for 6 months or so. Are there alternatives out there at the pumps like there are with petrol?
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="gvmdaddy"]https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/diesel_fi.phpFuel for thought' as they say. Are there alternatives out there at the pumps like there are with petrol?[/QUOTE] There are indeed both petrol and diesel and the general consensus would appear to be that they are all a waste of money, even the ones added by the likes of Shell. This seems to put the case clearlyhttp://www.motherearthnews.com/green-transport ... 2014-12-20 08:16:07
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.