Qashqai - 4x 4 or family hatch?

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

Just a little debate that I had at my local Eastern European carwash. I've always taken my cars there, large and small and get them thoroughly washed for a fiver.
The other day was first time I took the Qashqai there and apart from being sidelined whilst several other 'cars' went through, I was then asked for £7 because (as the lad pointed to the large yellow price board) my car is a 4 x 4. I pointed out the lack of a 4x4 function on my car and that it's actually no bigger than a hatchback, but he waved his hand vaguely at the sign again and muttered about it being 'too big, too high, thank you' before wallking off.

I parked next to a Vitara yesterday and I would consider it to be a small car for a 4x4, but it is taller than the Qashqai.

Qashqai - proper 4x4 or crossover family hatch?
2008 Qashqai Acenta 2L Petrol Manual

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I had a very similar experiance. I now wash my own car and now the weather is good it will be more than once per 2 months ;)
Exjag wrote:Just a little debate that I had at my local Eastern European carwash. I've always taken my cars there, large and small and get them thoroughly washed for a fiver.
The other day was first time I took the Qashqai there and apart from being sidelined whilst several other 'cars' went through, I was then asked for £7 because (as the lad pointed to the large yellow price board) my car is a 4 x 4. I pointed out the lack of a 4x4 function on my car and that it's actually no bigger than a hatchback, but he waved his hand vaguely at the sign again and muttered about it being 'too big, too high, thank you' before wallking off.

I parked next to a Vitara yesterday and I would consider it to be a small car for a 4x4, but it is taller than the Qashqai.

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

If you think that's bad, I currently run a Juke (waiting for my QQ) and have to pay 4x4/large car prices
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

Juke - large car? I wonder what they charge for the Fiat 500c or whatever its called.... the pumped up version of a city car. Should be classsed as an MPV/4x4 too then.

@Daewar.
Mine hadn't been washed for 3 months but was not dirty, just needed a spruce up. I too will be washing it myself in future.....just have to dust off the Karcher.
Odd that I used to drive my Scenic there every week for a £5 wash and polish, without even a raised eyebrow. I blame Brexit.... :lol:
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Fiat 500X
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Lisa500

Post by Lisa500 »

I have a 500 and they charge me the price of a standard car when I queried why it wasn't the price of a small car they said small cars only have 2 seats.
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

Next time, fold the rear seats down and tell them it only has two seats. :D
Paul L

Post by Paul L »

Daewar wrote:I had a very similar experiance. I now wash my own car and now the weather is good it will be more than once per 2 months ;)
Exjag wrote:Just a little debate that I had at my local Eastern European carwash. I've always taken my cars there, large and small and get them thoroughly washed for a fiver.

best to wash it yourself in my opinion.
why pay the scratch monkeys to inflict damage on your expensive car?
yes, they make your car look very shiny, but they leave scratches and swirl marks on the paintwork.
not to mention the damage inflicted to Xie wheels and paintwork by applying acid based traffic film remover.
£7 to wash a car in under 5 minutes? I would rather take an hour and do it myself, safe in the knowledge that I've not done any damage.
2015 Acenta 1.5 DCI. Smart Vision Pack. Nightshade
Bonnet struts
Must get those mud flaps fitted !
DD41

Post by DD41 »

Wouldn't let them sponge bastards come within a 100 mile of my car 4x4 or saloon
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
19 plate X Trail 1.3 DIG-T DCT Tekna Gun metal grey + led kick plates + footwell lights + Chrome lower boot finsher
16plate 1.2 DigtT cvt Tekna ink blue pan roof chome pack/ protection pack / chrome sill protectors / Nissan mud flaps/Spare wheel
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

I would agree, but my local one is better than most regards cleaning the sponges etc. I happily took my Jag there with no issues. They seem to have gained new staff and thats the problem, they aren't 'up to scratch' yet. I noticed them washing other cars from the cill then back up to the roof, in doing so they transferred all the grit. I told the chap that did mine NOT to do that, maybe that's why he insisted on the extra 40% payment? :D

For now, it's back to doing it myself until I can speak to the owner of the wash, when he's not dealing with his pub, other washes etc.