Diesel Power Box Results

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

Diesel 1460 09 with 18000 miles. Fitted the power box in the photo .Cost £65 and took all of 20 seconds to fit . I had only had the car for 2 days. Previous 7000 miles had done 52.5 MPG
How does it work?
Well you petrol heads need to forget rich and lean mixtures . In a diesel its always lean as the fuel burns in excess air . Also forget any sort of throttle ....more fuel in produces more power .less fuel less power . So at say 60mph chip or not it only consumes the fuel it need to go 60 mph. The box fits to the fuel pressure sensor so if the pressure is 100bar it tells the main ECU that its only 90 so the main ECU ups the pressure . True pressure is now 110 bar. More pressure means more fuel when the injector opens...So the only thing you can get is better acceleration where it uses more fuel. At the 60 mph example it still uses the same fuel because you pull your foot back to do 60....if it was given more you would go faster......The idea of using less fuel (better MPG) is a myth...you might get to 60 25 yards sooner and then cruise but you wont save fuel that way...

..Seemed to go well on setting 3 as supplied though with increased diesel knock. Position 5 sounded horrible even had a flat spot. Position 4 was as high as I could go. Drove it around for about 10 days and then for the acid test disconnected it to see if I lost any power. To be honest could not tell it had gone. so sent it back for a refund.
When you fit these you keep giving it the boot to see how it goes so consumption dropped to 47.2 MPG but on a decent 100 mile run back to 50+ .....did 56 mpg on a run of about 120 miles last week without the chip
The other problem is if you have a crash and they find it you will be uninsured ....?? pistnbroke2013-03-04 08:00:29