Tyres

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
AdamC84
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by AdamC84 »

Hello all,

I have been told that I need a new front passenger side tyre. I have Goodyear tyres on front and Michelin at the back.

Do I stick with the same brand and is it ok to change just the one tyre or both front at the same time.

What tyres do you use on your Qashqai?

Thank you.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

AdamC84, try using the search button at the top of the forum, there is plenty to read on this matter.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

In addition to gym daddy, tyre wear is not specific to the qq, all cars have it. So with this in mind u can search Google and spend the next few days becoming very knowledgeable indeed in tyres and tyre wear
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

General rule of thumb is, same brand/model of tyre on the same axel other wise with odd tyres on the same axel it can harm the handling, so as you have Goodyear on the front I would replace it with another Goodyear. I had it on my van a few years ago, matching tyres previous to a blowout, van was leased so lease company put an Goodyear on when the rest was continental, soon as I drove off van pulled to the left, took 4 days of arguing with lease company and ats but they put a new continental back on and was perfect again! Hope that helps
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

helo info from spain television states that you must fit the same tyres on the same axil, but they must be the same date that is on the side wall eg. 3915 means the 39th week 2015, duuur i think , i suppose different dates may have different constituancy the mot,s are strickter now , i have a full 19" spare that i swap about so i can replace all 5 when the time comes, the continental 5. is to be replaced with the sixth generation (6)and is said to be quieter, regards brian in spain
brian
Deleted User 3871

Tyres harden over time, epecially after very cold weather, so im told. So a new tyre will have different breaking characteristics compaired to an old tyre of the same make / brand.

For me, I try to wear out the 4 tyres at the same time, this requires tyre rotation so when I fit a new set they are all the same age.

If you have a 4x4 (AWD) car having nearly worn tyres on one axel & new tyres on the other can make the 4x4 system think you have tyre slip and can cause the car to engauge the 4x4 mode when not nessesarry, this cause cause excess wear, fuel consumption, strange handleing characteristics and stress on the drive system.
brianthelian wrote:helo info from spain television states that you must fit the same tyres on the same axil, but they must be the same date that is on the side wall eg. 3915 means the 39th week 2015, duuur i think , i suppose different dates may have different constituancy the mot,s are strickter now , i have a full 19" spare that i swap about so i can replace all 5 when the time comes, the continental 5. is to be replaced with the sixth generation (6)and is said to be quieter, regards brian in spain
switchback

Post by switchback »

Daewar.................How have your tyres worn on your AWD? Mine have all worn at the same rate and are currently about 4mm after 17,000 miles. If anything, the rears are worn slightly more. AWD normally turned off.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Deleted User 3871

I'm at 12k miles in 10 months. There is lots of tread left, about 5 mm on the front with a tiny bit more on the rears. I have auto 4x4 mode set most of the time. You can see the drive being diverted to the rears at low speed when pulling away from junctions, im sure this is saving the fronts a lot.

I tow a caravan a couple of times a month in good weather and about once per month in the winter period, so im very happy with tyre wear.

Its very strange your rears are more won considering the car is mostly using FWD.
switchback wrote:Daewar.................How have your tyres worn on your AWD? Mine have all worn at the same rate and are currently about 4mm after 17,000 miles. If anything, the rears are worn slightly more. AWD normally turned off.
switchback

Post by switchback »

I've just started leaving the AWD in auto to see what it does to the MPG. Over the last 4 weeks it's made absolutely no difference at all so I'll leave it in that mode. Handy when pulling out of a junction quickly on a wet surface. Surprisingly, when I go off-road through the mud hardly any drive is needed at the rear even when I boot it a bit.

2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.