Resonance - 2011 4WD CVT

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Highlea

Post by Highlea »

Hello
I am a new member and have just bought a 4WD CVT auto 2011 with 43K miles.
Car is excellent, but when driving it home I noticed a droning resonance like you get with a twin engine aircraft when the engines are running at slightly different speeds. Only happened between 60 and 70 mph and totally goes away outside this range. Tyres are a lot more worn on the front than the back, so I wonder if it is the slight speed difference in the 4WD coupling that causes it. Was driving in 2WD.

Planning to swap tyres front to back to see if it cures it.

Any help would be appreciated.

bala

Post by bala »

I think this is a normal characteristic of the CVT. Mine does the same and you can feel the noise like a turbo kicking in between 60-70 and then goes away. It's been the same for the last 3 years I have had it.
2010 N-Tec 2.0L CVT 4WD
Highlea

Post by Highlea »

Thanks for the reply.
Up to now, I have had a couple of Almera Tino's with nominally the same engine and transmission, but no sign of the resonance.

The reason I thought about tyres was that it is the same type of drone you get when two things run at slightly different speeds.

Looked under the boot floor for the first time yesterday and guess what - no spare wheel or jack; just a compressor and botle of gunk in a large piece of polystyrene. Will have to get the local type place to do the wheel swap.