Can't get in

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
alasio

Post by alasio »

OK, I done a stupid.

So, having issues with the ECU and was advised to disconnect the battery overnight.

So, having backed the car onto the drive, I popped the bonnet of the trusty 2008 1.5DCi QQ and disconnected the battery.

All's good and well I thought to myself, however, I done a serious stupid.

I locked the car doors first, then shut the bonnet.

Now, the remote central locking doesn't work and the key does not work in the driver's door. It turns, but does not unlock.

I've checked under all the covers on passenger doors - No extra release barrel. Please, please someone save me without the use of a brick...

A.

Roadie

Post by Roadie »

Keep trying with the key, if it has never been used the mechanism might be stiff. Try the boot lock aswell and my last shot would be climb under front of the car and try and find the bonnet release cable and pull it with a hook to release the bonnet.
alasio

Post by alasio »

Key lock turns but doesn't release. There is no boot release or separate lock on it.

Will crawl underneath tomorrow - Thanks
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I dont understand why you locked the car before removing the battery?
alasio

Post by alasio »

Yeah, neither do I @gmvdaddy. Talk about stupid decision on my part.

Anyway, managed to get the bonnet released and reconnected, all's well the ends well - Thanks all!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

alasio, glad about that. Thinking a little more about it I can see why you did what you did.
'Lock the car before I take the battery off.....then the car's safe...'
The mistake wasnt locking the car, it was simply closing the bonnet!
Chalk it up to experience.
As a matter of interest in case this crops up again, how exactly did you manage to release th bonnet to put the battery back in?
Cheers.
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

alasio wrote:Yeah, neither do I @gmvdaddy. Talk about stupid decision on my part.

Anyway, managed to get the bonnet released and reconnected, all's well the ends well - Thanks all!
Glad you got it sorted.
alasio

Post by alasio »

gvmdaddy wrote:alasio, glad about that. Thinking a little more about it I can see why you did what you did.
'Lock the car before I take the battery off.....then the car's safe...'
The mistake wasnt locking the car, it was simply closing the bonnet!
Chalk it up to experience.
As a matter of interest in case this crops up again, how exactly did you manage to release th bonnet to put the battery back in?
Cheers.
Hey,

Releasing the bonnet was easiest done going the old "I've locked my keys in the car" route. So, using a long metal hook and an inflatable cushion, pried driver's the door open slightly at the top and played snooker with the bonnet release catch. Cable released, bonnet popped voila.