Front wiper motor problem

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Gotcha ;)

liamC

Post by liamC »

Followed BillB's advice, and lubricated the shaft, and cleaned the motor, but when refitted, it worked for two sweeps before smoke started belching out of her and they stopped. Was lucky enough to get the last one in all the scrap yards within 50 miles of me for 100 yoyo's. Thank you for sharing your experience and knowhow Bill
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi BillWith regar to the problems with the front wiper motor and linkage. To repare, do you remove the cover of the plastic part containing the gear cogues. I did this with no sign of rust. However I am unsure if you have to push the two cogues out (i.e the Large and small plastic cogues). Do you need to take these out to see the rust under them. The bolt at the other side of the removable cap looks rusted (not badly). Also wondered, you do not need to take of metalic covering attached to motor at the back. I presume not but I thought I should ask. I have taken it apart & cogues looked as if the had grease, so I did not remove. Althought the electrical strips on the cover had water condensation on themThanks for any hep,Robert.
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Can you tell me you are and is this guaranteed and how long will this take. Cheers
bigmick

Post by bigmick »

Hi, I have an 08 petrol qashqai and the wipers stopped yesterday when we turned on the engine.The wipers were frozen. I think it is the same issue with the motor. I have found a replacement online form misterauto. It is a "Bolk" motor for 106 euro plus shipping. Is this too good to be true considering the quotes I have seen here.?
chasser

Post by chasser »

I took my motor apart as described, cleaned and put back together. Worked for about a fortnight before failing again. I used sand paper to clean the drive shaft as it was rusted as you suggested. I greased and reassembled but in my opinion for this to work the shaft would need to be filed or grinded smooth to have any chance of working long term. Also on reassembly, although they worked, there was a ratcheting sound whilst the wipers were in motion.

Anyway, I have now bought a new motor as I cannot risk motor failing again in this weather. I have replaced the old with the new motor but now I cannot get the wipers to rest in the correct position. I gather from reading this and other posts I should have marked the wiper linkage before removing the motor from it to ensure it was replaced in the correct position. Unfortunately I didnt realise (I must have been lucky when i took old motor apart that it went back together correctly).

At the moment the wipers are not wiping high enough, striking the lower part of the window and then coming to rest higher than previously. I can prevent this by assembling the wipers at a higher rest position but is not ideal.

Are there any markings on the linkage / motor to indicate the correct position or is it a hit and miss process to get it back to the correct postion? A photo of an attached motor/linkage at the rest position would be great if anyone could take one or link me to one.

Many thanks
Bilkaey

Post by Bilkaey »

Hiya, I seem to be having a similar problem except when I turn the wipers on I can hear the motor going but the wipers don't swipe. Would it still be a problem with the motor or the arms themselves ?
Thanks