Wing Mirror Base Unit Replacement

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
begbie1976

Post by begbie1976 »

Morning all,

At the weekend I noticed that the base unit of the nearside wing mirror is broken on my 2010 1.5 n-tec. Infact there's a hole in the unit big enough to see the innards! I don't know when it happened - whether it was there when I bought the car a month ago (probably) or if a stone has hit it while I was driving. Anyway, I was hoping that it was just the mirror cover, but alas, it's the actual base unit - sod's law.

Searches online (including this forum) to find out how easy it is to fit a new unit haven't been that fruitful. I did find a video on youtube which shows a photographic slide show with the basic steps, which means removing the door panel. So my questions are:

Has anyone on here tried to replace a wing mirror unit?
Any hints or tips to avoid making an erse of it?
My wing mirrors are the electric folding type only - not heated. If I buy a unit with heating function, will it work?
Is the switch for this function the middle position on the mirror adjustment knob? Or is it only activated with the heated seat function if you have it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

begbie, I am not saying this is going to save your skin but it might be worth a try, asking costs nothing !

I found this website www.diagnostic-world.com and there is a very long list of what they call Diagnostic Guides. One of the mentioned is for "Nissan Qashqai Mk 1 Side Mirror Removal and Replace Guide", you need to scroll down the list.
Now it will not open up and I found no cost involved but it might be worth contacting them on diagnosticdays@live.co.uk. Give it a try best of luck - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
begbie1976

Post by begbie1976 »

DaveBerlin wrote:begbie, I am not saying this is going to save your skin but it might be worth a try, asking costs nothing !

I found this website http://www.diagnostic-world.com and there is a very long list of what they call Diagnostic Guides. One of the mentioned is for "Nissan Qashqai Mk 1 Side Mirror Removal and Replace Guide", you need to scroll down the list.
Now it will not open up and I found no cost involved but it might be worth contacting them on diagnosticdays@live.co.uk. Give it a try best of luck - Dave ;)
Thanks Dave. I've sent off an email to them. Let's see if I get a response.

I did managed to find another 'how to' guide on another Qashqai forum, so I think that the job is do-able without too much hassle. I think the hardest part will be trying not to break any of the plastic clips when removing the door card!
qashqailover

Post by qashqailover »

It's a straight forward job, get an haynes manual section 11.21 gives you the removal and refitting instructions along with photos.

Disconnect battery
Remove door inner trim panel (11.9 haynes manual gives a good how to guide)
Prise off mirror interior trim panel
Disconnect mirror wiring socket
Remove the three securing bolts and with draw mirror from outside
Refitting is a reversal of removal

The door trim panels are easy to get off, i replaced 2 of my door panels when i got my car as they were scratched, i didn't take long to remove and refit both door panels.
begbie1976

Post by begbie1976 »

qashqailover wrote:It's a straight forward job, get an haynes manual section 11.21 gives you the removal and refitting instructions along with photos.

Disconnect battery
Remove door inner trim panel (11.9 haynes manual gives a good how to guide)
Prise off mirror interior trim panel
Disconnect mirror wiring socket
Remove the three securing bolts and with draw mirror from outside
Refitting is a reversal of removal

The door trim panels are easy to get off, i replaced 2 of my door panels when i got my car as they were scratched, i didn't take long to remove and refit both door panels.
Thanks for the reply. Do you really need to disconnect the battery? That's not mentioned on any other 'how to' guide I've found. Does that not bring issues with the Nissan Connect unit i.e. needing a passcode, which I'm not sure I have?
qashqailover

Post by qashqailover »

The manual says disconnect battery, i think there covering there backs in case anything happens to the electrical system when you disconnect the wiring to the window switches and the mirror wiring socket.

When i removed my door panels i didn't disconnected the battery before unplugging the window switch connectors and it worked out ok, i replaced my panels before i got the manual, i think it's good operating procedure to disconnect the battery though.

The door trim is held in position with plastic clips that push into the door these have to be pulled out work your way round the door, theres a couple of screws under the door handle aswell.
yaesu

Post by yaesu »

If there's ANY chance of the window mechanism being energized while working inside the door you must disconnect the battery, these things are quite capable of removing fingers! The same applies to windscreen wiper linkages. Take care, regards yaesu
March 2015 Ntec+ 1.6 dci manual black