windscreen replacement

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

ynysygwas wrote:I had to replace the cracked windscreen on my 2015 Tekna. Heated screen with sensors etc.. I checked with my insurers (Aviva) and was told it did not affect my no claims discount. There was an excess of £75 to pay. I simply phoned the help line and they made the booking for me at a company callled National Windscreens and it is guaranteed for the life of the car. Interestingly, in view of sydswan's comment, I had to go back as some of the 'black goo' came loose and had to be redone. The technician said he thinks it is something to do with the way Nissan recommends the repair is done. Something about the screen itself having to settle in to form a seal without using too much sealing stuff. No problem since the second repair.

15 years of no claims doesn't seem to get you any extra discount. I haven't claimed in over 20 years but officially have 7 years NCD as when I changed from Directline to Aviva the 9 years on Directline's record turned into 5 years at Aviva as they max out at 5 years ncs. It was still cheaper to get the Aviva policy at 5 yrs ncd than stay with Directiline with 10 yrs ncd! No doubt when I take out a new policy with a different insurer I will end up with 5 yrs ncd again!
Thats handy to know, all good info. Couple of questions though.....how long does the fitting take? Does the replacement screen come withe the camera unit already attached or is it a case of transferring from old screen to new one?
My point about protecting your no claims bonus didnt specifically relate to 15 years as such. As you say, different companies offer different timescales for no claims, some being as low as 5 years, some 7 or 9, and a few may offer additional discounts for more than 9 years. The point I was trying to make was depending on your insurer and your age etc it makes sense to pay the extra, what is a little, to protect what could well cost uou a lot more by losing your no claims bonus or having it reduced.

PeterPerfect13
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by PeterPerfect13 »

My replacement took about 90 minutes. It took so long because it is necessary to remove the wipers and vent to allow access all round. The camera and sensors are all built into the screen, the fitter will just need to access the wiring in the rear view mirror cowling and disconnect/reconnect.
2017 Magnetic Red 1.2 CVT Tekna
qashqailover

Post by qashqailover »

I phoned the insurance company, they said i would just have to pay the £75 excess and it wouldn't affect my no claims with them but i would have to declare it as a claim if switch insurer, she also said my premium would increase next year by £50 as i'd made a claim and they only allow one glass claim before it affects the ncd.