windscreen replacement

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
qashqailover

Post by qashqailover »

Hi, the windscreen cracked today on my 2011 1.5 visia dr dci, i noticed a little chip last week but thought i'd wait till after every thing gets back to normal in the new year but today i noticed the chip had turned into an 8" crack at the bottom of the window drivers side.

I've phoned three companies, autoglass £752 they tried getting me to go down the insurance route but i want to pay for it myself without getting my insurance involved as i have 15 years no claims, so won't be using them.

As anyone used autowindscreens as they qouted £330 or £397 depending on what type of windscreen it is, they are mobile only, national windscreens price was £202 or £465 they have a fitting centre in town, how can i tell what windscreen is fitted to my car and what is the difference between the two as there is a big price difference, i'm hoping it's the cheaper one i have, what company would you choose as anyone used either and did they do a good job.

Thanks for looking

350Zdean

Post by 350Zdean »

Evening

as long as you are Fully Comp most good insurance companies will never step back your NCD, for only a windscreen claim It is no reflection on your driving ability. All you will have to pay is the excess usually around £75 and use their approved company
Ex x2 350Z , Now 1.6 DGT Gunmetal , Teckna, Chrome Lip & Wife who curbed the Alloys !!
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

ask your Nissan dealer first.. To expensive? Watch out for low prices.. the windshield is a important part of the car structure in case of a accident.
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
silverdave

Post by silverdave »

HI , Has it got a heated windscreen on your model, Make a lot of differents to the price.
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol Auto panaramic roof , Gun grey. Nissan spare wheel.
Front & rear skid plates
PeterPerfect13
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by PeterPerfect13 »

Sorry I can't help with prices but was also surprised about your decision not to go via insurance. I had to replace my windscreen (the day after I collected the car from the dealer - ouch!!) and only had to pay the excess of £75 and no impact on my NCB. My brother has been really unlucky and has had three replacements over the last two years all on insurance with no impact on his NCB.

By the way, the fitter from Nationwide windscreens mentioned in conversation a repacement cost of £1300 for the screen what with all the gizmos. This seemed a bit high to me but haven't done any research.

Good luck.
2017 Magnetic Red 1.2 CVT Tekna
Cleanupcars

Post by Cleanupcars »

Nearly all the major car Insurers do not treat a windscreen issue as a policy claim, and therefore does not effect your NCB in any way.

Typically, the Insurer will arrange a repair for free with their approved supplier, e.g. Autoglass.

If the screen is broken, or the crack would cause an MOT failure, then the insured person is usually charged a fixed excess fee, such as £250.

Worth contacting your insurer before you spend any of your hard earned cash and discuss the best course of action.

It may not be so helpful to your cause to inform your Insurer that you waited some time to inform them after you noticed a crack, and in that intervening period a possible crack repair is now a windscreen replacement!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

As already said, your no claims should not be affected for a glass claim, just pay the excess.
If you've built up 15 years no claims, I would pay a little extra each year now to protect your no claims bonus, its well worth it.
sydswan

Post by sydswan »

Hi Qasqailover I had an issue with National Windscreens here in Australia and I will never use them again, they do not put the black goo all around the screen, only in patches [NOT GOOD]

Good luck with your choice.

Peter :?:
Qashqai 2.0L Ti auto Platinum
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Had autoglass replace my windscreen with a non-Nissan one no problems at all and he was happy for
Me to watch him install it. I made sure the glue went all the way round he said the installation was
Guaranteed and the non-standard screen was top quality he also said that the qashqai was the most
Common screens he fits.
ynysygwas

Post by ynysygwas »

I had to replace the cracked windscreen on my 2015 Tekna. Heated screen with sensors etc.. I checked with my insurers (Aviva) and was told it did not affect my no claims discount. There was an excess of £75 to pay. I simply phoned the help line and they made the booking for me at a company callled National Windscreens and it is guaranteed for the life of the car. Interestingly, in view of sydswan's comment, I had to go back as some of the 'black goo' came loose and had to be redone. The technician said he thinks it is something to do with the way Nissan recommends the repair is done. Something about the screen itself having to settle in to form a seal without using too much sealing stuff. No problem since the second repair.

15 years of no claims doesn't seem to get you any extra discount. I haven't claimed in over 20 years but officially have 7 years NCD as when I changed from Directline to Aviva the 9 years on Directline's record turned into 5 years at Aviva as they max out at 5 years ncs. It was still cheaper to get the Aviva policy at 5 yrs ncd than stay with Directiline with 10 yrs ncd! No doubt when I take out a new policy with a different insurer I will end up with 5 yrs ncd again!
A Tekna, because I admit I need all the help I can get.