QQ 1.6 Diesel Stop/Start Battery Replacement

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
lukem538

Post by lukem538 »

Hi,We have an issue with the car this winter after a cold night the battery will not start the car the next day. After a jump start its ok until the next really cold night and same again.I read about the batteries going faulty so I purchased a new Halfords 096AQM which is apparently the correct one for my car.Can I just replace the battery or do I need to take this to a main dealer or back to halfords when the right man is there with the right equipment to connect the battery?Reading up some stop/start cars require the battery to be linked to the car via the electronics. (Seems mad but thats what I am reading)Can anyone confirm before I replace this myself?ThanksLuke

duncho

Post by duncho »

Hi,
Do you have 2014 Qashqai? If so, you wasted your money because you could get it replaced under the warranty. To answer your question, you can do it by your own, but to avoid any DTCs caused by replacement process, you need to open bonnet, turn off everything close all the doors and wait up to 10 minutes (time depends on your car model). Then disconnect the battery and reconnect with a new one. If you don't mind your extra expense, you could purchase a battery with higher capacity (80Ah) so that you gain some benefit at least.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
lukem538

Post by lukem538 »

Hi thanks for the reply. It's a 2012 older model. I'll try the replacement tomorrow while leaving everything closed for a while before swapping it.
duncho

Post by duncho »

80Ah battery is the highest capacity you can fit in. If I remember well, dimensions of OEM battery are 278x175x190 and 80Ah is slightly longer 315x175x190. You won't need under battery cover if you go for high-cap one.

lukem538

Post by lukem538 »

This is the one I brought http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs- ... -guarantee
It's 70ah but does have a 4 year guarantee so hopefully will be up to the job. I got 10% off so not to bad for the price looking at the likes of eurocarparts
duncho

Post by duncho »

Not bad at all if you get it with 4 years warranty.

lukem538

Post by lukem538 »

I swapped it out and there are no issues reported in the car. The battery I put in was not as high as the one fitted by about 5cm so I had to fashion some blocks to stand the battery on otherwise the cables would have been under too much strain. Also the plastic case around the old battery with a heat shield on wouldn't fit around the replacement battery. Its securely fitted with brace in place so hoping thats the end of the issue and jump starts
duncho

Post by duncho »

[quote="lukem538"] I swapped it out and there are no issues reported in the car. The battery I put in was not as high as the one fitted by about 5cm so I had to fashion some blocks to stand the battery on otherwise the cables would have been under too much strain. Also the plastic case around the old battery with a heat shield on wouldn't fit around the replacement battery. Its securely fitted with brace in place so hoping thats the end of the issue and jump starts
[/QUOTE]

Something is not right if new battery with the same capacity is smaller than previous one. I would doubt its capacity now to be honest. The price was already suspicious for AGM type of battery. Those are the most expensive batteries on the market. Do you have possibility to ask someone to measure what capacity it has?

lukem538

Post by lukem538 »

I can put my car reg in to www.eurocarparts.com and it confirms the battery type for my car is 096AGM which is what I have purchased. Details below. Car turns over much faster now than it did before. There is no indication on the removed battery as to its size or capacity. The only English writing says stop/start. HALFORDS START/STOP AGM BATTERY cThe Halfords Start/Stop AGM Battery 096AGM comes with a 4 year guarantee.The Halfords 096AGM battery is required for vehicles with start/stop technology and/or regenerative braking. The AGM (absorbed glass mat) technology allows up to 360,000 engine starts for use with start/stop functions.Halfords Start/Stop batteries come fully charged and ready to fit. Most vehicles will require this battery to be registered with the on-board computer system, therefore professional fitting at a Halfords store is strongly recommended.HALFORDS START/STOP AGM BATTERY 096AGM EXTRA INFOStarting Power (CCA): 760ampsAH Value: 70ahAverage Weight: 19.50kgDimensions (LxDxH): 278 x 175 x 190mmGuarantee: 4 years
bobgarrett

Post by bobgarrett »

Does anyone know which way round the heat shield goes. Halfwords voted the battery bit said the shield did not fit but a knife has fixed that, I am just not sure whether the metal panel shoes at the front or back.