Steering wheel -> creaking sound

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
DropThePuck

Post by DropThePuck »

Looking at the floor of the car underneath the dashboard, behind the pedals, etc. you will see the shaft of the steeing column go through the floor. There is a plastic cover plate that unclips. You will see the steering column linkage and also where the actual column going through the floor. I sprayed both the linkage and the column area. I suspect it was the column/bushing area causing the problem, but no more creaking :)

McMorrow

Post by McMorrow »

Thanks a million, I'll get my hand on some lube and give it a go.
Atif

Post by Atif »

I had also this sound and told it to dealer and they said they now what's causing that. So when I got car back, dealer said that they lubricated steering column and now there is no sound. I was happy. But.. sound was back at same evening. So, could be there some other problematic place or what could be the cause of this sound? Simply bad lubrication by dealer?
Qashqai 1.6 CVT 2014
ferris

Post by ferris »

Mine started doing this too. Probably a coincidence, but I only noticed it after it went into the dealer for the recent collision avoidance recall. Is this a suitable lubricant? http://www.amazon.co.uk/TF2-Lubricant-S ... B00B23BNA0
duncho

Post by duncho »

Yest it is, I have exactly the same lubricant.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
korky

Post by korky »

I thought I'd posted here but doesn't look like it....also have the noise on parents car but dad said today its gone...temp here today was at 5c so I wonder if it's also cold weather related?
duncho

Post by duncho »

It is temp related issue. It must be under zero and humid.

duncho

Post by duncho »

Well, I experienced another source of creaking sound on steering wheel turns at below zero temps. The source of this annoying noise is coming from front shock absorber mounting. I lubricated them and creaking noise was gone for 2 weeks, but now the noise is back again! Reported this issue to a dealer, which confirmed that Nissan knows about this and works on solution.

korky

Post by korky »

Booked in on Monday so let's see what they say. Shock absorber mounting sounds right as I do hear it when going over ramps as well
korky

Post by korky »

Just a mini update (which isn't much of an update) but cars been in to dealers and they can't work it out. They've had a few QQs in with the same issue but have been unable to diagnose. So whether it'll just disappear as the sun come back out for Spring/Summer or whether Nissan will work it out remains to be seen.

If anyone does get a 'diagnosis' would be good to hear