Steering wheel -> creaking sound

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Mike Read

Post by Mike Read »

Our car has now been in three times for the steering creaking, 4 Days off the the road this last time and it's still as bad as ever. Someone previously posted that it is coming from the tops of the shock absorbers, a design fault where dirt and muck is getting into the tops of the shock absorbers and reverberating noise through the steering column. Has anyone had this repair carried out and did it cure the problem.

Mike

Biggsmig

Post by Biggsmig »

Hi Mike, mine went in today for the same problem. They greased it...as they have done to others so we will see how it sounds in the morning when it is frosty. As I drove it out of sandcliffs the engine management light came on so I drove it straight back. They said the oxygen sensor had failed. This is the second time. Oh well more tyre black!!!
Mike Read

Post by Mike Read »

Interesting how many additional problems seem to occur every time they go in. Our battery failed the day after the air conditioning condenser was replaced. I've always been a big believer in avoiding having any other that essential work carried out by garages, for fear of opening up a can of worms. And a can of worms is what seems to happen
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

I have mentioned this either on this post or another, but my fix wit a small flat piece of rubber about 12" long and an inch tall rapped around the top mount and cable tied to hold in place and still leaving space for the rotation, has worked wonders, not had any problems since, 1 month on! It's the debris and water getting into the joint and that is causing the rubbers to creak. I would recommend it!
Mike Read

Post by Mike Read »

Thanks
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

I don't want them messing with the suspension as I've only just got it going in a straight line! And I know it won't be right after! So my fix has stopped it! Used to get the problem on both sides of the car on the top mounts, so I only did the o/s to prove a theory and it worked and the n/a side is still squeaking so I'm going to do that side on the weekend now I know this works!
Biggsmig

Post by Biggsmig »

Thanks monkeywba but I don't I will try that whilst under warranty!! I will leave it to the so called proffessionals. I just wish nissan would sort their aftersales system out. It seems to take forever to get things done. Sandicliffe always send me home whilst they get authorisation from nissan. Surely nissan should trust their main dealers.
Mike Read

Post by Mike Read »

I think the problems are so wide spread, Nissan are struggling to handle the volume, and so insist on approval process. What puzzles me is why no one seems to report problems are cured. You'd think Research and Development would have solved the problems by now.
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

Mine is still under warranty, but have lost all faith in the dealers and have asked them about my problem, but all I get is that my chassis number isn't in the technical bulitin range so they can't fit the new modified dampener/top mount covers/rubber boot. So to be honest I've got bigger things to worry about at the moment with the birth of my son than arguing with the dealer and then the car being off the road for a week and I can't afford that at the moment.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Mike, I am not sure wether you are refering to Nissan or to a Forum member not mentioning a cure. We had our QQ done around a year ago and I posted on it and the problem has never returned and we are into a cold weather period here now. Take a look at my attachment with the sketch - Dave ;)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3436&start=30
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken